Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jessmo
Reel Rookie

Re: No Activation Email

Jump to solution

@rocksy - How did you bypass connecting to internet? My Roku Express asks what language I want o use and then immediately wants to connect to my wifi. If I say I don’t want Roku to auto search for my network it says I can enter my network manually, but when I click that it won’t do anything until I enter network info. I’m stuck unless I let it search for my internet or enter my network info manually.  I feel like I clicked every single possible option and can’t find a way to bypass connecting. Should I turn off my router/modem? I’ll try it. I mean, at this point I’m ready to call a magician or a priest because I clearly need either tricks or prayers. 

0 Kudos
ninjaertle
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

So this is what worked for me.  

Reset to factory and went through the setup normally.  Only thing that I changed was the WIFI connection I used.  I have an extensive mesh system that chooses the best connection for all devices.  Luckily I have one AP (Access Point) that allows me to choose if I want to connect to 2.4ghz or 5ghz WIFI signal.  Having had experience with devices not working with the 5ghz before I decided to give it a shot and connect to the 2.4ghz WIFI signal instead of letting the system decide.  Once connected to 2.4ghz signal setup went exactly as expected and email was sent immediately.  After activation I then connected to the mesh system and everything is functioning as expected.  My theory is that it is like other devices and there is some reason it is not compatible with the 5ghz system when trying to send the activation email.  You may have to turn off the 5ghz signal on the router of AP for a short time in order to use this solution.

So try connecting to 2.4ghz instead of 5ghz WIFI and see if you have any luck.

ROKU support should make this note and give that advice to others. 

0 Kudos
uscburrito
Reel Rookie

Re: “We can’t seem to reach you by email”

Jump to solution

I am having this problem on my new TCL Roku TV today. I am stuck at the prompt to enter email. I can't back out or get to the Home screen via the Home button. It will not accept any email address I enter.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Saw your post, @uscburrito.

We appreciate your patience regarding this matter. I understand that you are able to complete the activation process and unable to enter your email address.

You can try performing a factory reset on your device. This will reset all settings and return your Roku device to a state ready for initial setup.
For more information on how to perform a factory reset, visit our Support page here: How do I factory reset my Roku® streaming device? 

If the issue repeats, try activating your Roku device using a different email address.

Please try doing this and see if it helps with what you're experiencing.

Regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
uscburrito
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yes, I managed to find the reset button on the TV itself and performed a factory reset. The second time through, I was able to complete activation smoothly. Thanks!

0 Kudos
saweet
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I finally got mine working.

Like you, I factory reset many times, reboot router, hard reset, etc. Even though every other device on my network is working fine (1 server, 1 PC, 2 laptops, 2 alexas, 1 google home, 2 phones, 2 tablets, xbox), all 3 of my rokus were having this problem (roku 3, roku ultra, and roku express). They have not been in use for many months.

What worked was updating the firmware on my router. Why everything else but the rokus were working is beyond me, but that's what worked

0 Kudos
Jayloyd

Jump to solution

Ive did a factory reset and have used multiple email addresses and it still does not work

0 Kudos
ninjaertle
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Make sure you are connecting to 2.4ghz wifi.  That is what did it for me.  Some devices just don't work with 5ghz wifi.

0 Kudos
rob999

Jump to solution

+1 for the 5Ghz band workaroud.  In fact, I made an account on this forum just to reply and add color to what is clearly a bonkers problem, and also to thank the previous posters who flagged the wireless issue.

A new TCL Roku TV (model 50S535) wouldn't send the activation email and timed out after just a minute with error "We can't seem to reach you by email".  Wireless network is a Ubiquiti U6-LR, and I could see that the TV was connected to the 5Ghz radio.  I disabled 5Ghz, the TV automatically reconnected over 2.4Ghz, and it sent the activation email successfully on the first try and completed the activation process.

I re-enabled the 5Ghz band afterward and the TV seems to be able to stream content on 5Ghz.

Note that pre-activation, and while still connected to 5Ghz, the TV was able to connect and download new firmware, so it's not like it was completely unable to use the 5Ghz radio. 

One more data point:  a TCL model 65R635 on the same network activated flawlessly, but I didn't note at the time which WiFi band it was on.  So, either it happened to use 2.4Ghz, or (more likely) it has a better WiFi card and/or network stack.

0 Kudos
Tjames8382

Jump to solution

I am having this same issue with my tv ive factory reset it tried another email and nothinv works. Help please

0 Kudos