Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TedH17
Reel Rookie

Voice Remote won't pair with Roku Ultra

I've a Roku Ultra with voice remote (standard AA batteries) that has been working well since December 2020. Serial number YJ00LY613281; remote model RCAL4.

Yesterday while I was switching streaming services and the TV screen changed to the bouncing Roku logo and the remote will no longer control anything.

I've tried for hours (really) to fix the problem by researching online and reading many "troubleshooting" comments and YouTube videos, and then found this Roku site. I can't find a phone number or a chat link to use to get support from a live person.

Plugging, unplugging, waiting, pressing the remote pairing button, etc. have been useless. Nothing I do resolves the problem.

This is where I am: after unplugging the Ultra's power, waiting and reinserting the plug my TV screen shows the bouncing Roku logo. Then I remove the batteries from the remote, wait 5 seconds, reinstall them (I've tried 3 sets of NEW alkaline batteries). The green pairing light always comes on immediately and stays on for a few minutes. Meanwhile the bouncing Roku logo eventually disappears and the TV screen becomes blank. I've tried the remote volume and power buttons to test the pairing, and there is no response shown on the TV. BTW- after a few minutes the bouncing logo reappears on my TV screen for a while and then disappears again.

I don't know why this suddenly happened, but I need to fix it. How can I get it to work again?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Voice Remote won't pair with Roku Ultra

I don't think it's your remote.  The screen shouldn't go blank once the startup animation ends - you should get your Home Screen whether or not the remote works.  I'd suspect a bad power adapter or a bad Ultra.  If you have another compatible power adapter give it a try.  You might also want to try it on another TV and/or try another HDMI cable.  Otherwise, if it's still under warranty:

Step by step instructions for returns and warranty replacements | Official Roku Support

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
TedH17
Reel Rookie

Thanks for your quick reply.  If the power adapter is the problem, why would I get the Roku logo?  BTW- does anyone know what the small button on the top of the Ultra unit is for. There's a small + sign on it, otherwise i can't find any info about it - what happens if I press it??

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Button on top of the Ulta is the "remote finder" button to cause a misplaced remote to make a sound.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
renojim

@TedH17 wrote:

If the power adapter is the problem, why would I get the Roku logo?

That's one of the signs of a bad power adapter - it never makes it past the bouncing logo.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos