Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Unable to enter email address during initial Set-up of Roku Express

@BP737, no one knows why Roku does the things they do.  I've been confounded for years.

I would suggest restarting all of your network equipment - gateway/modem/router - and your Roku devices.  If it still doesn't work, try connecting to your phone's hotspot just to get through the activation.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
BP737
Channel Surfer

Hi Renojim,

I have already done what you have suggested.  I even switched out my modem.  Same issue.  Since this is a problem among a lot of users, I would think that Roku would come up with some solution.

Sad, I used to like Roku a lot but have been experiencing issues with my Roku's now and in the past (I have 3) and now this.

Thanks again Renojim.

0 Kudos
BP737
Channel Surfer

One thing I might mention, it really makes me mad that this is somehow my fault or my equipment's fault when my network has not changed in the last 6 months when I last hooked up a Roku device.  Since I have tried two Roku's this time and both did not get a reply back tells me that the message is getting to Roku, but being ignored or just fails to be registered with Roku.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@BP737, oh I'm sure it's Roku's fault.  Don't get me started on their web team.  I've found it's far easier to find a workaround for their ineptness than to try to get them to fix something.  Unfortunately I haven't seen a workaround for this common problem.  In the past I've seen people mention that one email domain didn't work while another did, but if you already have a Roku account and are trying to link a new device to that account you can't try a different email address unless you change the email address on the existing account.  If this is the first Roku device you're trying to link and you have another email address you can try then give that a shot.  You can always change the email address associated with your Roku account to your preferred email address later.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hi @BP737

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.

Are you getting an error message when you try to activate your Roku TV and device to your account? Please also reply here with their serial numbers. It can be found at the back of the device or on the box itself.

Once we have the information needed, we'll be able to forward it to our support team for further assistance.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
BP737
Channel Surfer

The last thing I did before I totally gave up, which I did NOT want to do, was create a new account.  The Roku connected immediately after sending my email name to Roku under the new account.  This shows it is ROKU's issue, not on my end.  I have had my original account for 10 years or so and now it fails?  Yeah, on your end Roku.  Fix the issue.

0 Kudos
RFARRIS39

I have the same issue with my Roku Express.  It happened just after an update. It simply acted as  if it were a new unit.  We've had it for some time,

0 Kudos
wathan

I'm having this issue right now as well.

My Roku Streaming Stick has started acting wonky lately and while the wife was gone though I'd do a factory reset and get it set back up before she got back with some ice cream, my device is now dead in the water and unusable because of this. Neither a new email, nor my previously registered email seems to "work".

I don't think this is on my end but rather on Roku's side of things. This really is beyond stupid though and very frustrating.

Please fix your stuff! I've never had a bad thing to say about the product until now, and regularly recommend these to other people.. but now I see how the new box experience is.

Please fix!

0 Kudos
BP737
Channel Surfer

Update? Oh wow... I did not even think of that.  A lot of times when Microsoft makes updates to their software we use at work, that update will cause issues.  My Qwest modem did the same thing.  A new update came along and hosed the modem.  I ended up having to get a new one.  I sent the hosed one back to the company to fix and after 3 replacements, had one that would work.  At least they kept trying to fix their issue with the modem (that was last winter).

I bet that is what they did and they can't fix it.  They will have to find a way to create a new update that correct the last update. 

Wow, that had not occurred to me.  I bet that is what has happened.

0 Kudos
BP737
Channel Surfer

Oh man... you messed with the Roku while the wife was gone?  "Rut Row George..."  BIG NO-NO!  lol

I just got an error that I have to put in 140 characters or more or the reply post won't go through.  Seriously?

0 Kudos