Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PietroPietro
Channel Surfer

Toggling Between Roku and Cable TV/Set-Top Box

Jump to solution

Hello,

So I have a Roku (Streaming Stick+) connected to my new LG TV through an HDMI port. I get my cable via Verizon Fios. If I want to switch from my cable TV (Fios) to Roku I just turn on Roku from the Roku remote. But if I want to go back to cable TV (Fios) I cannot do this or at least I do not know how to do it! I cannot "go back" or hit an "Off" button on the Roku remote that then defaults back to cable TV. The only way I can do it is to pick up the LG TV remote (not the Verizon cable box remote) and laboriously switch between HDMI inpiuts by pressing various buttons. Seems awfully convoluted just to go from Roku BACK to cable TV. Any ideas? Thanks?

Pietro

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Toggling Between Roku and Cable TV/Set-Top Box

Jump to solution

The roku remote does it business, it helps you switch to the hdmi the roku is plugged into, and it controls the roku. Why doesn't the cable box remote get blamed for not switching to the hdmi the cable box is using? You expect the roku remote to do that as well? Most cable box remotes have tv controls, yours may not have been set up right? 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

The roku remote does it business, it helps you switch to the hdmi the roku is plugged into, and it controls the roku. Why doesn't the cable box remote get blamed for not switching to the hdmi the cable box is using? You expect the roku remote to do that as well? Most cable box remotes have tv controls, yours may not have been set up right? 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
PietroPietro
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hi Tivoburkee,

I was not trying to assign blame or criticize anyone. I was just trying to see if there was a solution as to how to exit Roku to my cable box simply and quickly. It sounds like that is not the case. The Verizon remote cannot do it as far as I can tell. Everything else works on the remote so I think it has been set up correctly, unless someone knows otherwise. Appreciate your input.

Pietro

kdridley

Jump to solution

Look on your remote control for "input".  Hopefully yours has it and you should easily toggle.  

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hmm, this is an old thread, but apparently the OP doesn’t like the source selection on his TV and wishes his cable box had the HDMI-CEC feature that his Roku has.  On the other hand I turn that HDMI-CEC (1-touch play) feature off on my Roku and just press the appropriate button on my Audio/Video Receiver remote, so opinions and home video system vary.

0 Kudos
Pmd54

Jump to solution

My Verizon remote can switch between HDMI and cable, the problem is, when I switch to HDMI to access my Roku device, it displays the message, "no signal"

Others on this post seem to have more than I do. I have to get up off the couch ( God forbid I have to get up LOL! ) and press a button on the Roku device to toggle between the two. 

0 Kudos
OperatorD80
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@Pmd54  There is no button to push on the Roku. Which Roku model number  do you have? What’s going on is your Roku is sleeping. If you press the home button on the Roku remote it will wake the Roku up. You can go into Settings/ Network and disable bandwidth saver. So when it says “no signal” press the Home button on your Roku remote. 

0 Kudos