Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ocolumn

Switching my Ultra to a new TV.

I bought a new Ultra today and connected it to my old plasma 1080 tv. On Tuesday, I will want to use it on my new QLED tv. I know I need a new HDMI cable for the 4K, but are there any settings I'll need to change?

In the past, I've switched my Roku boxes around among the tvs in the house without any difficulty, but this new tv is a far different technology.

Thanks ahead of time for any thoughts.

Paul

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Re: Switching my Ultra to a new TV.

@ocolumn wrote:

I bought a new Ultra today and connected it to my old plasma 1080 tv. On Tuesday, I will want to use it on my new QLED tv. I know I need a new HDMI cable for the 4K, but are there any settings I'll need to change?

In the past, I've switched my Roku boxes around among the tvs in the house without any difficulty, but this new tv is a far different technology.

Paul

Why do you want to use Roku Ultra on your new QLED TV? Is your old Plasma TV broken?

~Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Michelle3 wrote:

Why do you want to use Roku Ultra on your new QLED TV? Is your old Plasma TV broken?

~Jordan

Because the plasma is only 1080? And if you're talking about the set's built in apps, in most cases the Roku is vastly superior to what they put in the TV's OS. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
atc98092

@ocolumn wrote:

Paul

If your Ultra came with an HDMI cable, you don't need a new one. But if you were using something you had around the house, yes I would suggest getting a cable certified for 18 Gbps speed. Ignore the labels that claim 4K support or any other magical term. There's no such thing as a 4K HDMI cable. A cable is a cable, and the only difference (besides quality of course) is if it support Ethernet over HDMI, and it's speed rating. For 4K/60 HDR, you must have a cable good for 18 Gbps. 

Other than that, just power it off, unplug it from the plasma and connect it to your QLED Samsung. Once it's powered up, check the display setting in the menu and make sure it's showing 4K HDR 60 Hz as the configured setting. If it's showing 30 Hz, go into the TV's settings and enable UHD Color on the HDMI jack that your Roku is feeding. I think Samsung finally set that on by default, but check to make sure. Otherwise you won't get HDR on some content. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Steve66213
Reel Rookie

I moved my Roku Ultra from an LG to a Sony.  The picture and sound are fine.  The Roku on/off button does not work on the Sony, and neither do the volume controls. 

atc98092

@Steve66213 wrote:

I moved my Roku Ultra from an LG to a Sony.  The picture and sound are fine.  The Roku on/off button does not work on the Sony, and neither do the volume controls. 

It's possible your new Sony doesn't have CEC enabled, and/or you don't have One-Touch Play enabled in your Roku Ultra. But unless your Ultra is the original version (model 4640), you can program the remote to control your TV using IR. Look under the Settings/Remote/ and see if your remote has a menu option that says "Set up remote for TV control". It's possible the 4640 remote even supports that, but I'm not confident enough to say either way. If you got your Ultra in the past couple of years, it's probably new enough. If it has a button for voice control, that should cinch it. 

Dan

Michelle3
Roku Guru

Oh boy…… here goes me from literally almost two years ago…….

@Steve66213  As was stated, you would need to check if your Sony TV set has CEC compatibility.  If it doesn’t, then it will not work with the TV voice control (assuming that’s what you meant); it will only work with the TV button controls.  I’ve experienced this issue two weeks ago when I bought a new Voice Remote for my Roku Express+ 3910 (attached to my old 1994 Magnavox CRT set), and, shortly after, found out the reason why when I came across a Voice Remote Pro on Roku’s online store.  It should also be noted that nearly all CRT sets do not have CEC compatibility; only the LCD sets do.  So there is your answer.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
Steve66213
Reel Rookie

Thank you, I got it to work.  My Ultra is 6 months old but I don't know the model number.

The menu labels were a little different but close enough, I figured it out.  After selecting Settings, I selected Remotes and devices.  Then Remotes, then Set up remote for TV Control.  

I did have CEC enabled and could control volume with "volume up" or "increase volume."

0 Kudos