Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
torchddv
Reel Rookie

Streaming Stick 4K won't remember settings

Jump to solution

I just updated my older stick with the Streaming Stick 4K with voice remote. It is powered from the USB port on the TV, as described in the manual.

The problem I am having is the Roku will not remember settings like language preference, wifi password, e-mail address, etc. after cycling the TV. Then I have to go to the website and enter a code for the stick and finally get a code for Prime Video each time I turn on the TV. It seems to be resetting itself to factory fresh condition every time it is powered on.

I get that it will lose any cached streaming data since the TV shuts off the USB power, but is this complete reset normal? Does the stick not keep such details in non-volatile or battery-backed memory? I didn't have these problems with the older, HDMI powered, stick and it seems to me I shouldn't have to spend 5 or 10 minutes setting things up again each time I want to watch something.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Streaming Stick 4K won't remember settings

Jump to solution

None of my sticks lose their settings when the power is removed.  The first thing to try is to use the supplied power adapter.  An insufficient power supply from the TV can cause all kinds of strange issues.  See if it still happens when you unplug the supplied power adapter and plug it back in.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
renojim

Jump to solution

None of my sticks lose their settings when the power is removed.  The first thing to try is to use the supplied power adapter.  An insufficient power supply from the TV can cause all kinds of strange issues.  See if it still happens when you unplug the supplied power adapter and plug it back in.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
torchddv
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks, but no joy. It doesn't matter if the power source is the supplied wall wart or the TV's USB port. Once the stick loses power, the next time power is applied it's right back to square one, pairing the remote.

If this is not normal behaviour, then I guess I got a defective unit. If it is normal behaviour, then I'm surprised Roku is still in business because this is getting old fast.

torchddv
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Ok, I'm not dead certain if it was the wall wart or the button, but I pressed and held the reset button while it was plugged into the wall wart, went through the set-up process yet again and now it seems to have taken. It remembers the settings even after power-cycling and even when plugged into the TV USB port now.

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@torchddv-

Congrats on getting things working, and thanks for reporting back.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos