Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robbie1
Channel Surfer

Status of Subscriptions if I no longer use a Roku device

Jump to solution

I currently have a Roku device connected to my TV. I have one subscription (ESPN+) which is billed through Roku monthly. I plan to soon upgrade to a smart TV and will not need the Roku device any longer. Will I be able to watch ESPN+ on my new TV (it's available through Google TV) or will I have to cancel my Roku subscription and set up a new subscription with ESPN+ directly? Even if I'm no longer using the Roku device, I'm assuming Roku would still bill the subscription and therefore enabling me to continue to watch ESPN+ on my new TV. Am I assuming correct? No one I've asked seems to know. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Status of Subscriptions if I no longer use a Roku device

Jump to solution

There are some subscription services that use the Roku account to collect the money monthly, like Pandora. And let you sign into any streamer device that has the app, even though it's billed through Roku. Disney+ is same, so espn+ being a Disney property it does too. Roku Ch subscriptions are only available on Roku's. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@robbie1 

Roku-billed subscriptions need to be viewed through a Roku device or the Roku mobile app (if applicable).  If you plan on no longer using your Roku, then cancel your Roku-billed subscription at https://www.roku.com/ under Manage Subscriptions.

When you subscribe directly to the subscription provider (ESPN+), this method allows you to watch on any supported device (which is what you will want for your new smart TV if you completely abandon Roku.)

----

Of course, you could just leave the Roku-billed subscription and plug your Roku device into your new smart TV and continue to watch as you always have.  You don't have to get rid rid of your Roku device simply because the new TV has a different smart OS.  Many users have Roku devices connected to smart TVs and comes in handy when user experiences an issue with a channel/app on one OS, they can switch to the other via the HDMI input.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
robbie1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply. I may continue to use the Roku, then. As a side note, I was able to activate ESPN+ on my son's Sony TV in his bedroom. His TV does not have Roku, but the ESPN app was available and gave me an activation code that I had to enter using a computer. So that would seem to indicate you can view a Roku-managed subscription on another TV without Roku.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@robbie1 

I would double-check that subscription.  There is an ESPN+ subscription available for the Playstation as well. https://thestreamable.com/live-tv-streaming/espn-plus/devices/playstation

Are you sure you are being billed for ESPN+ by Roku or that you only one subscription going?  If you are subscribed directly to ESPN+, then able to use on any device.  

I am kind of thinking that if you are using across multiple devices, you are actually signed up with the provider.  Seems like you have to sign up with ESPN+ first before installing on devices, so possibly the case.

Try logging into the ESPN+ account of the ESPN+ website.  If successful, then this subscription may actually with ESPN+ and not the typical Roku subscription. 

https://www.espn.com/espnplus/

----

I believe @DBDukes is the ESPN guy around here - maybe he or others who subscribe to this channel/app will stop by and give you better information how this subscription works.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

There are some subscription services that use the Roku account to collect the money monthly, like Pandora. And let you sign into any streamer device that has the app, even though it's billed through Roku. Disney+ is same, so espn+ being a Disney property it does too. Roku Ch subscriptions are only available on Roku's. 

Edmund

AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@Tivoburkee 

Good to know and I stand corrected.  

So with those subscriptions (I don't see a list of subscriptions in Roku support), do you cancel through Roku, the provider, or either when the need arises?

If someone purchases the subscription through Roku, then ditches Roku and watches on another device for some time, do they need to remember they ordered through Roku in order to cancel?

0 Kudos
robbie1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I guess I'm confused, AvsGunner. I can sign into the ESPN+ website. When I click on ESPN+ subscriptions under profile, I simply get a blank page. I do have a Disney+ account (not through Roku) and ESPN+ is under Disney management so who knows? I'm pretty sure I only have one account going, but I'll call ESPN+ tomorrow. The last time I talked with them, they were clueless. When I sign into my Roku account, ESPN+ is listed as the one and only subscription. The lady as ESPN+ the other day told me I would need 2 subscriptions: one for the Roku TV and another for the other TVs. That is obviously incorrect. If I recall, when I accessed ESPN+ on my son's TV, it asked me for the provider (Xfinity). My cable company does not offer ESPN+ so I have no idea why they would want to know or care who my cable provider is. As you said in your first reply, I may have to cancel the Roku and re-set up with ESPN+. What's odd, is when I sign in to ESPN+ it of course wants a password. Since I never set up an account directly with ESPN+, I have been entering my Disney+ password and ESPN+ accepts it. I think I need to sleep on this and try again tomorrow.

0 Kudos
robbie1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Tivoburkee, I think you have the correct answer and I didn't initially see your reply. In my case, it sounds like Roku is acting as a conduit in this case. Since the ESPN+ app was available installed on the other TV, it allows us to access it and stream. Assuming you are correct (and it appears you are), the only thing I need to remember if I ever wish to make changes or cancel is that it was initially set up through my Roku account. Thanks again to both you and AvsGunner for your help. 

Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

Yes, you will have to make all changes via the Roku website, including cancelling. 

Edmund