Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Naturequeen
Channel Surfer

Sony KDL-55HX800 2010 sony bravia

Hi Everyone, i need some help please... i have an older model Sony Bravia KDL-55HX800 which I purchased in 2010. I'm looking into purchasing a roku streaming device to watch Netflix, Amazon prime, etc.... which roku streaming device is best and compatible with my model tv? There are so many....

Much appreciate your help 

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Sony KDL-55HX800 2010 sony bravia

@Naturequeen, they should all be compatible with your TV.  It's really about what features you want.  Only the Ultra model has an Ethernet port; all the others only support Wi-Fi.  The least expensive model comes with a "simple" remote that has to have a clear line of sight to the front of Roku device.  The others have a Voice Remote or Voice Remote Pro (the difference being the Pro is rechargeable) which are point anywhere remotes and support voice commands.  They also have controls to turn the TV on/off and adjust the volume.  The simple remote can't do that.

While I have a stick that's been reliable and hasn't given me any problems I still recommend against them.  My preference has always been the Ultra, but it's also the most expensive.  As far as streaming goes you really won't notice a difference with any of them.

You can compare features here:

Roku Players | Roku

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Naturequeen
Channel Surfer

@renojim thank you for your reply. I can not seem to find the roku ultra on the website. I do see the roku streambar. I do have one more question and I apologize for my ignorance, can I also stream tv channels and maybe cancel my cable subscription in the near futur? Is there an extra charge to stream tv channels? I hope I'm clear.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

The streaming experience is very different than what you're used to if you've been using cable TV most of your life.  The savings comes from picking only what you want, but nothing comes without some cost.  With streaming, most people watch things "on demand" from some service - Netflix, Peacock, Paramount, HBOMax, etc.  Those all cost money.  To get your local channels it may be as simple as just connecting an antenna to your TV and watching them live for free.  This blog post gives a good overview of how to watch local channels:

How to watch local channels, news and weather on your Roku devices

Whether you can get rid of cable completely depends on your viewing habits and how easily you can adapt to the streaming experience.  There are channels (as Roku calls them, most people would call them apps) that are similar to the cable experience, but are also similar to the cable model with different tiers with different channels and pricing.  Hulu, YoutubeTV, fubuTV, and Philo come to mind.  They have multiple traditional TV/cable channels within the channel/app and may provide your local channels.

Some things from your cable subscription are also available via a Roku device, but they're only available if you have a cable subscription.  I know that doesn't make sense, but that's how it is.  If there's channels you're getting via your cable subscription that you just can't live without list them here and someone may be able to tell you whether there's a way to get them via one of the other providers (Hulu, etc.) or some other way.

There's plenty of material available via a Roku device that is absolutely free, but you may have to put up with commercials/ads (sometimes way too many).  Streaming is a different experience, so you may want to get one of the lower priced devices just to give it a try.  I'd say it's not for everyone, but I think if most people gave it a chance they would dump cable and never look back.

As for no Ultra, are you in the US?  Different regions have different devices available and different channels/apps available, so that could be important to know.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Naturequeen
Channel Surfer

@renojim thank you in helping me understand. I'm in Canada.

0 Kudos
Naturequeen
Channel Surfer

@renojim I just read "4K on Roku players and Roku TV requires 4K content" yeah I don't think my tv is compatible. I don't see anything in the manual that my tv is 4k. My tv display is 1,920 dots x 1,080 lines. 😔 

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

I'm running an Express 4K+ on my 2008 HD (not 4K) TV.

You need a 4K TV to see 4K (obvious but manufacturers feel the need to state the obvious because people complain when they don't) however, new Rokus will work with older TVs at their resolution.

Rokus don't do 1080i but they do 1080p and 720p and your 2010 TV can probably do both of those.

0 Kudos
Naturequeen
Channel Surfer

@Strega @ great thank you. I will try it

0 Kudos