Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Drewrif

Setup without remote after factory reset.

How do I get my roku device onto my home wifi without a remote ( after a factory reset)  I have used the mobile app exclusively after losing the remote.. but had to do a factory reset and now stuck on the remote pairing screen of the startup menu 

9 REPLIES 9
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Setup without remote after factory reset.

The Roku app on a phone can only be used with Rokus that are already connected to your home network, so you have to use a method other than the Roku app to set up a new net connection.

Your Factory reset wiped all information about your prior network connection from the Roku so your only option is to use a compatible remote to set it back up again.

Your Community account here says you have a Roku Premiere.  This will respond to the standard set of infrared (IR) commands used by all Roku devices (Exceptions: Streaming Stick products that are used behind the TV where IR can't reach, and Roku TVs that use a different set of IR commands).  The Roku "Simple Remote" is all you need.  Plus there are 3rd party clones that will do the job available from Amazon, Wal-mart, etc..  Inexpensive universal IR remotes found at many retailers will work too -- just be sure it says it can control a Roku device.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Slicback21

Help for those with just the TCL Roku TV stand alone and in the exact same situation?

renojim

@Slicback21, you need a remote.  The Voice Remote will work, but the simple remotes for Roku console boxes will not.  Otherwise you need a remote specifically for TCL Roku TVs.  Universal remotes have to support Roku TVs and not just Roku devices.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
makaiguy

@Slicback21-

Remotes that come with Roku TVs are supplied by the TV manufacturers, not Roku.

All Roku TVs will support any of the Roku "Voice Remotes".  You may be able to find these locally at Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target, etc, or of course at online sources like Amazon, eBay, and from Roku itself. These are point-anywhere remotes that connect to the TV via WiFi-direct, and must be paired to the TV to enable them to communicate.

Remotes supplied with Roku TVs connect by infrared (IR) and are relatively inexpensive.  They "just work" without being paired to the Roku TV.  You may be able to find them locally at Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target, etc, or of course at online sources like Amazon and eBay, but not from Roku.  Roku TV remotes from any Roku TV manufacturer and from third party suppliers are largely interchangeable and can be used with Roku TVs from other manufacturers*. 

• * NOTE: Remotes from HiSense and Sharp can only be used with HiSense and Sharp Roku TVs because they issue a different set of IR commands than the rest of the Roku TV manufacturers.  The Roku TVs from HiSense and Sharp themselves, though, support both sets of IR commands so they can be used with remotes from any Roku TV manufacturer. 

Thanks to @Tivoburkee for this info.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Burnttoast

So i dont have the remote that came with my roku express 4k+ and have not been able to set it up after a factory reset. None of the roku apps or the remote i bought for it is able to control the roku. I have not been able to get past the language screen. Im at a loss. The roku was given to me and the person lost the remote. 

I havent found anything on roku.com or any other site that explains my issue.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

@Burnttoast 

Describe the roku,  does it accept hdmi cable? Or is a stick with a built-in hdmi connector? A Stick won't accept IR commands from a universal remote, it has to have wifi Roku remote. If it accepts a hdmi cable, so it should be controlled by universal remote with Roku code on board. It would have to have line of sight from the universal remote to the front of the Roku for it to work. It can't be buried behind the TV. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
wilkse23

I have a TCL Roku TV and I hit the factory reset, but do not have a TCL Roku remote -- I only have a regular Roku remote. It is now disconnected because of the factory reset. I am stuck on the select language screen and have no way to select without a remote. What can I do?

0 Kudos
wilkse23

0 Kudos
renojim

@wilkse23, since you factory reset it there's nothing you can do except get a remote.  A remote for a Roku player won't work on a Roku TV (unless it's a voice remote).  You can either get a TCL remote for the Roku TV, a Roku voice remote (sold at Target, Walmart, or Best Buy), or a universal remote that supports Roku TVs.  Those are your only options unless you have a friend with the proper remote.

0 Kudos