Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
remaker
Roku Guru

Setup unit with Link code vs Email

Jump to solution

I got a new Roku Streaming Stick+ and was dismayed by the setup process. It required me to get an activation code by email, and the email took over 15 minutes to arrive. I had no other options. I would have much preferred the old link code system. If the email cannot be guaranteed to be instant, it’s a terrible process. I can see forcing email for new accounts, but if I just want to add a device to my existing account, it should be a lot easier.

Why the change? Are link codes gone?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Setup unit with Link code vs Email

Jump to solution

They changed it because too many people couldn't handle entering a simple URL into a browser and were instead redirected to one of many scammer's websites.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
renojim

Jump to solution

They changed it because too many people couldn't handle entering a simple URL into a browser and were instead redirected to one of many scammer's websites.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@renojim @remaker 

What I wish Roku would do is offer either. The user picks between:

• Manually enter code
  • Email code

The user picks and gets it the way they want it.

Or, at the bottom of the screen where you enter your email address, a link to manually enter code instead.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

remaker
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I would appreciate that option. I didn’t appreciate the long wait required to complete the setup when the email is a problem. I know, I know, #firstworldproblems, but still. This was a change that made it harder for me to activate a Roku.

0 Kudos