Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gonorth43

Setup - switching from Directv on tv with one hdmi port

We have Directv on a tv with one hdmi port with multiple cables, power inserters, and an hdmi splitter sending the signal to two other tvs in the house. I have been trying to get a Roku Express to work and have been able to get a signal to the two additional tvs, but not the main tv, no matter what input source I use. It should work, right? I bought an hdmi adapter thinking I could use that with the red, white and yellow cables but cannot make that work either. I am obviously doing something wrong. Any ideas? Please help. I am trying to save money and cannot buy a new tv.

Edit: At this point, would it be better to try to save myself some sanity and buy an "inexpensive" smart tv?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Setup - switching from Directv on tv with one hdmi port

@gonorth43 

Just for clarity, you are not not trying to split the Roku Express signal to multiple TVs, you are simply trying to use the Roku Express on this TV with all the splitters and adapters that are occupying your single HDMI port, correct?

Also, sounds like you have a HDMI Roku Express (Settings/System/About) for model number.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Michelle3
Roku Guru

Sorry to tell you, but DirecTV boxes do not have any HDMI inputs on them.
So, what HDMI converter box brand do you use, and what is the brand name, model number and manufacture date of your TV set?  
Keep in mind that all the Roku device models carrying the Express name are HDMI only.  Two models, 3710 (2016) and 3910 (2017), which carry the Express+ name have analog outputs.  The 3931, from 2019, and the 3941, from 2021, are also HDMI only and also carry the Express+ name.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Did you buy a cheap HDMI adapter or a “real” one?  Ie: the cheapest so-called HDMI adapters only physically convert from an HDMI port to AV ports and have no A/D converters in them.  They only work with a very few devices that can put analog signals on HDMI connectors.

And, BTW, analog SD video will be a huge step down in picture quality.  I would get an HDMI switch instead and avoid converting.

Michelle3
Roku Guru

@Strega  some HDMI-to-A/V converters only support the HDMI input resolution up to 480p.  Most HDMI-to-A/V converters contain a power supply, and are manufactured by the same Chinese OEM companies, depending on the facility, but sold under a bunch of different brand names.  They display the same pillar-sized color bars when there is no signal from the input.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
gonorth43

@AvsGunnar While I would like it to go to all tvs, getting it to the main one is key. I understand I could use another Roku device for the other two if necessary, and to make it simpler. I am afraid to rip everything out of there and start fresh, then not have the Roku work and lose the Directv also.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@gonorth43 

Yes individual Roku devices for each TV best solution.  Otherwise, all TVs will be limited to same program.  Also the Express comes with an IR (line of sight remote) so you will need to make changes pointing the remote at Roku device in the room where it is located.  Plus you would have to run cables from each TV to do this.  In the end, easier, cheaper, and better experience to either buy a Roku for each TV, or just simply move the same Roku device into the room you want to watch it.  These are meant to be be portable and plug and play.

----

As for your question, when dealing with a single HDMI port, you should consider using a HDMI "Switch" rather than a splitter.  This switch is basically an A, B, C selector.  Some are manually switched with toggle, others have a remote.  I will leave up to you to decide the fiscal ($) portion of your solution whether one makes more sense over the idea or purchasing a new TV.

Options are:

1. HDMI Switch.  Direct TV HDMI plugs into one port.  Roku TV HDMI plugs into one port.  You toggle back and forth to the preferred device you wish to view on the TV.  All your splitters remain in place as is to send the different signals to the different TVs.

(https://www.amazon.com/s?k=hdmi+switch&crid=1WDVTDQEJ4PVG&sprefix=hdmi+switch%2Caps%2C445&ref=nb_sb_...)

2. HDMI to RCA/Analog Converter.  This is similar to the HDMI adaptor you purchased but this is more of a little box that converts the signals and you plug them into your RCA ports. (red, white, yellow, etc).  You lose some audio and video quality with this setup.  

(https://www.amazon.com/s?k=hdmi+to+rca+converter&crid=21104DS8ON6Z6&sprefix=hdmi+to+rca+converter%2C...)

-----

The above are just example links to show you the switch and the converter.  Those are what you need (the ones that are little boxes) rather than just an HDMI to RCA adapter cable.  I would just suggest the HDMI Switch to allow you the easiest setup.  Even this little $18 one with a remote should work and is priced right. (HDMI Switch 3 in 1 Out 4K UHD HDMI Switcher)

---

Take a picture with your phone before disconnecting all the cables.  However, all you really will be doing is is plugging the HDMI cables from both the DirectTV and the Roku Express into Input 1 and 2 of the HDMI Switch.  Should be able to leave all your other splitters for your DirectTV as you have them.  Just imagine this new switch as the back of your TV.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102