Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fattonymtb

Setup stuck on language screen

I have a brand new Roku Express and it is stuck on the Let’s Get Started screen to select the language. 

I have tried the plug/unplug, take out/insert batteries steps and it doesn’t work. The remote will get the device to wake up from the bouncing screensaver screen but it won’t select a language to allow me to continue the setup process. 

Any help is greatly appreciated. 

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Fattonymtb

Re: Setup stuck on language screen

Update: got it working but I had to literally set the remote 2-3 inches from the front of the receiver for it to work.

7E879427-31C6-4373-8E0F-2232176FA8EC.jpeg

0 Kudos
sarpo11

I have the same problem...cant even get to the language set up screen...cant get rid of the bouncing Roku screen saver...what to do???

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@sarpo11, first of all that's nothing like the "same problem".  You need to be more specific.  What's the "bouncing Roku screensaver"?  If you're speaking of the initial startup animation with the jumping/bouncing letters, that's not a screensaver.  If you're using your TV's USB port, use the supplied power adapter.  Otherwise, start a new thread giving as much detailed information as possible including the Roku model number that's written on it somewhere.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
ttibbs
Binge Watcher

It is Dec 2022 and I am surprised that there isn't an answer here, yet.  I am stuck on the bouncing startup screen and I wonder if it is because I have a very old tv. I can't get the remote to communicate yes to the English.  Batteries are good and all included wiring was used. I have a Roku Express 4K+ SKU3941R with a Sony TV.

It doesn't seem like the remote is pairing.  I press the reset button and it blinks green for a bit, then rapidly blinks and then stops.  The streaming player blinks in sets of 3. I will try to set up an account and see if that helps.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@ttibbs

Thanks for the post.

Can you please clarify the issue you are experiencing? Are you getting stuck on the bouncing logo screen or the language selection screen? Did you try replacing the batteries in the remote?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ChippyTech
Streaming Star

I apologize for the trouble you are experiencing with your Roku Express. Here are a few things you can try to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Make sure you are using the correct remote for the device. If you are using a universal remote, try using the original remote that came with the device to see if that resolves the issue.

2. Check the batteries in the remote. If the batteries are low or dead, the remote may not function properly. Replace the batteries with fresh ones and try again.

3. Make sure the device is updated to the latest software version. To check for updates, go to the Home screen, then select "Settings" > "System" > "System update" > "Check now."

4. Reset the device to its factory settings. To do this, go to the Home screen, then select "Settings" > "System" > "Advanced system settings" > "Factory reset." Keep in mind that this will erase all your personal settings, so you will need to set up the device again from scratch.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, it is possible that there is a hardware issue with the device. In that case, you may need to contact Roku customer support for further assistance.

0 Kudos
ttibbs
Binge Watcher

Hi RokuDanny-R,

I pressed the reset button on the streaming player and everything is working now. There is also a hidden reset button where the batteries go on the remote if that doesn't work. Nothing in the setup guide tells you about these!

ttibbs

0 Kudos
ttibbs
Binge Watcher

Hi ChippyTech,

I pressed the reset button on the streaming player and everything is working now. There is also a hidden reset button where the batteries go on the remote if that doesn't work. Nothing in the setup guide tells you about these!

ttibbs

0 Kudos
ttibbs
Binge Watcher

Hi sarpo11,

I pressed the reset button on the streaming player and everything is working now. There is also a hidden reset button where the batteries go on the remote if that doesn't work. Nothing in the setup guide tells you about these! Good luck!

ttibbs

0 Kudos