Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kingraybo
Channel Surfer

Samsung tv does not recognize Roku on USB port

I just set up a new tv. samsung un55tu7000f. it has two hdmi ports. I have verizon on one and playstation on the other. I tries using an hdmi switch to alternate between the playstation and a roku ultra. the tv did not recognize the switch. I bought an HDMI to USB cable and plugged into the USB port on the tv. TV doesnt recognize it. as if it is not there. I tries powering devices on and off. shutting tv off and on. what can i try next?

thanks

0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
kingraybo
Channel Surfer

set up new samsung tv. trying to use roku3 on the tv usb port

I just set up a new tv. samsung un55tu7000f. it has two hdmi ports. I have verizon on one and playstation on the other. I tries using an hdmi switch to alternate between the playstation and a roku ultra. the tv did not recognize the switch. I bought an HDMI to USB cable and plugged into the USB port on the tv. TV doesnt recognize it. as if it is not there. I tries powering devices on and off. shutting tv off and on. what can i try next?

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Re: Samsung tv does not recognize Roku on USB port

Honestly, I’m not sure what a HDMI to USB cable is expected to do, and I wouldn’t expect a typical TV to have any capability to input video and audio via a USB port.  They generally expect you to plug in storage drives, or just use them for power.

I’ve never heard of not recognizing a switch.  Defective switch perhaps?  I know some people have gotten confused and tried something like an HDMI splitter instead of a switch.

So I would say better/non-defective switch or AVR.  (Which is a fancy switch plus audio.)

Or since it's a new TV, take it back and get one with enough ports for your needs. 

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
kingraybo
Channel Surfer

switch is not defective. we were using it the morning before installing the new tv. cable was advertised as being able to add a roku device to a tv when you run out of hdmi ports. 

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Can you provide a link to the cable?

0 Kudos
kingraybo
Channel Surfer

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

That is a USB to HDMI adapter, not an HDMI to USB adapter.

0 Kudos
kingraybo
Channel Surfer

i am returning it. it states in the description that can be used to connect a Roku to the USB port. False advertising. So there is no adapter to do what i want? even if it was actually USB 3.0? THe USB on the tv is blue and not white. Thanks for the help. 

0 Kudos
RokuEmmanuel-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: set up new samsung tv. trying to use roku3 on the tv usb port

Welcome, @kingraybo.

Thanks for reaching out here in the Roku Community!

We want to look further into the situation you're in regarding the unintended power issues on your Roku Ultra. 

For us to isolate the problem, we need additional information to determine the root cause of it:

• Have you tried connecting the HDMI cable of your Roku Ultra directly to the TV?
  • Can you try to connect your Roku to the power outlet?
  • Have you tried connecting your Roku to your other TVs? If so, did your Roku work with it?
  • What error message is on your TV screen? A photo or short video clip might help.

In the meantime, you can visit this support article on what to do if your Roku streaming player will not power on.

We anticipate your prompt response. Providing these necessary details will allow us to start the investigation as soon as possible.

Please keep us posted.

All the best,
Emman

Emmanuel-D.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Yeah, it’s weird that it claims you can: "Connect your Blu-Ray player, Cable Box, Apple TV, Roku, PS4, XBox One, Computer or other HDMI-compatible device to your HDTV, display or projector" since making those connections would typically just use a normal HDMI cable. But if you look at the reviews, it has many that state that the whole thing is a fake/scam.

The closest thing to what you (kind of) want would be a video capture device. But I doubt your TV has any provision to use such a device.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.