Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RavLRH
Reel Rookie

Roku3 does not recognize newly inserted SD card

Our Roku3 periodically reinstalls streaming apps as it does not have sufficient memory. The device notes that, were we to install an SD card, this would alleviate the problem. However, the Roku3 is not detecting our SD card once installed. We unplugged and then re-powered up the Roku but it still does not recognize the SD card. Now what?

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku3 does not recognize newly inserted SD card

When I was using a Roku 3 occasionally the Roku would freeze and not complete a boot-up. Only by removing the SD card would the boot-up finish. Apparently something caused the card to be corrupted. I could format the card in my PC as FAT 32 with the default allocation size (NOT using the fast format option) and I could get the Roku working with the card again.

After about the third time of going through this I just decided the card was more trouble than it was worth and just left it out.
Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
RavLRH
Reel Rookie

Thanks Makaiguy but my problem is a little different. Our Roku3 works fine, but occasionally loads previously installed apps because the device doesn’t have enough memory (which takes additional time and is inconvenient). The device suggests including installing an SD card. I’ve done so but, for whatever reason, the device does not detect that the SD card is installed. How do I get our Roku3 to detect the ST card?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@RavLRH

Thanks for the post.

What brand and size memory card are you using with your Roku device? Have you also made sure that the card has been inserted in the proper orientation and pushed all the way in?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
RavLRH
Reel Rookie

Hi Roku Danny-R. Thanks for following up.  The SD card I inserted into my Roku3 is a SanDisk Ultra 128GB card. And yes, the card was inserted properly. (It clicked into place.)

FWIW, I've tried a few things, including removing the card, rebooting, re-inserting and then rebooting using my phone remote control. (This procedure is listed elsewhere in this forum.) Also didn't work.

Thanks for any help you might offer.

RavLRH

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@RavLRH

Thanks for the follow up.

I have passed along your concerns to our Support team to follow up and assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@RavLRH wrote:

Hi Roku Danny-R. Thanks for following up.  The SD card I inserted into my Roku3 is a SanDisk Ultra 128GB card. And yes, the card was inserted properly. (It clicked into place.)

That's way too large of a card. From older reports, anything larger than about 4 GB is unused, and very large cards, such as yours, are never recognized at all. Roku offers a 2 GB card in their accessories store, although at the moment it shows as out of stock. But I'd try finding a much smaller card. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Neploxo
Reel Rookie

It would be really nice (read: professional, good customer support) if Roku would publish supported SD card sizes. I just plugged in a 32g SD card in my Roku3 and it doesn't appear to be recognized. I used to be able to load all my channels with no problem but now I get the SD card message after loading only 3 or 4 channels. Planned obsolescence is too polite a term for this.

0 Kudos
raysouza

I'm having the same problem.  Did you figure out a fix?

0 Kudos
BobMack

I'm having the same problem with a 32GB SanDisk card on both of my Roku 3 players.

0 Kudos