Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku works outside the US

Jump to solution

I want to send a streaming device to my brother who is located in Colombia. I was thinking about Roku, but I want to be sure if this will work there and what requirements would he need to install the Roku.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Roku works outside the US

Jump to solution

You can send it to him, but some of its functionality either wont work at all, or be reduced in functionality - and that doesnt include the apps/streaming services, who almost always have location restrictions due to licensing/distribution agreements.

E.g.: The Roku Remote app is available in Columbia, but The Roku Channel doesnt have access to free/Premium subscription content (if available).

You'd need to check each free/subscription service that he intends to use for its location restrictions/limitations.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

You can send it to him, but some of its functionality either wont work at all, or be reduced in functionality - and that doesnt include the apps/streaming services, who almost always have location restrictions due to licensing/distribution agreements.

E.g.: The Roku Remote app is available in Columbia, but The Roku Channel doesnt have access to free/Premium subscription content (if available).

You'd need to check each free/subscription service that he intends to use for its location restrictions/limitations.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Also note that he will minimize location based problems if he registers and !inks his unit using a Columbian based email address and internet provider.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@laurapinro29 

Colombia is a supported country. Roku sells devices there.

As others mentioned, functionality varies from country to country. There are apps that work in the UK but not in the US. There are apps that work in the US but not in Canada. And so on. And, yes, have them set up their Roku account in-country and link the device to their account.

Note that in the past, there have been issues with firmware from one country being used in another country, but Roku may have worked that issue out. Keep in mind, though, if issues arise.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
MilesT
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I would be tempted to do a setup in the US first (using your brother's email  address) and then send it.  If it doesn't work out then he can factory reset and start again

That said, if roku is on sale on Columbia, then buy locally is the safest.

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

The problem with setting it up in the US, even using a non-US based email address, will still create a Roku user account that is US based, and no way to change it. If he sets up the Roku account in Columbia, and then the Roku is set up in the US, it's going to see an IP address discrepancy between the account and device location, and still might encounter issues. It's always best to create the user account and set up the device while located in the same country.

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.