Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku will not send activation link to my email

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the post.

When sending an activation link to your email, we would recommend checking the Spam or Junk folder as sometimes the email can be found there. We would also recommending trying to search for "Activation" in your email to see if you can find the activation email there.

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
MikeJC
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I've been through that. There was no email sent at all. Not in the spam folder or any other folder.

0 Kudos
siraltok
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I changed the first letter of my email addy to a capital and instantly received the activation email after days of trying. Might be worth a try or it might have been a fluke. Either way, Roku needs to get this fixed, as I won't be buying any more Roku products until I hear this problem is resolved.

0 Kudos
Awoychyshyn
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Have checked the junks, tried the capital still nothing. 

Crusher
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R This was the same advice I got a month ago, but that was not then nor is it the real problem now.  What really surprises me is that Roku still can sell these devices at all when the system for activation fails for such a high percentage of people.

0 Kudos
Awoychyshyn
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Exactly, why is the product still on the market if it’s this troublesome.

Crusher
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@MikeJC I simply gave up and returned my device for a refund.  The problem with not receiving an activation email has existed for quite some time.  I was simply unaware when I bought my most recent Roku device

0 Kudos
Crusher
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@Awoychyshyn I asked the same question weeks ago - how can Roku keep selling these devices with such a high rate of activation failure?

0 Kudos
Mooselake1
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@MikeJC Using EmAiL@GmAiL.CoM (i.e somewhat random capitalization) worked for me, after several email and phone contacts with customer service didn't help.  I traced the successful email back to AWS's email service, and would make an educated guess (I ran a regional ISP in a past life) that the troublesome emails are being hit by a screwed up spam blocking service (a better one wouldn't care about capitalization, which doesn't matter for email, a good one wouldn't be filtering these at all.  No idea why anybody would do that to registered users.  They have contact info for developers, which would be appropriate to Roku (not end-users like us),  but it seems they don't want to pursue the issue.  Danny does his best, but he's asking for things that don't end up being helpful.

A lot of these kinds of things are done with contract programmers these days, it may be that Roku no longer has a contract with them so there's no one to fix the problem.  The cost in returned devices and lost customers is undoubtedly higher than the cost to fix this issue

0 Kudos
Mooselake1
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@siraltok Yeah, that's been the fix that worked for me too.  I spent several days trying, including PM, email, and phone (that one after I made it work) contacts with customer service.  They acted concerned, and spent a fair amount of time, but in the end couldn't help.  If it wasn't a new TV for occasional guestroom use I'd also have dumped Roku and found another streamer that worked, and we have multiple Rokus in both the summer and winter houses.

My email address are kind of weird, random letters and numbers created by a forwarding service, and while I could get gmail and yahoo addresses to work the one associated with my account wouldn't until the scrambled capitalization trick.   FWIW, in the old days I ran an email server and tracked a lot of spam, today the forwarding service (sneakemail) is just a handy way to shut off individual addresses that have been sold or harvested by spammers, and I've used it to register online for 20 years.  I can tell right away where they got it from, eBay, Kickstarter, and FacePlant seem to be a popular place for spammers to get their databases.

0 Kudos