Thanks for the post.
When sending an activation link to your email, we would recommend checking the Spam or Junk folder as sometimes the email can be found there. We would also recommending trying to search for "Activation" in your email to see if you can find the activation email there.
Please keep us posted what you find out.
I changed the first letter of my email addy to a capital and instantly received the activation email after days of trying. Might be worth a try or it might have been a fluke. Either way, Roku needs to get this fixed, as I won't be buying any more Roku products until I hear this problem is resolved.
@RokuDanny-R This was the same advice I got a month ago, but that was not then nor is it the real problem now. What really surprises me is that Roku still can sell these devices at all when the system for activation fails for such a high percentage of people.
@MikeJC I simply gave up and returned my device for a refund. The problem with not receiving an activation email has existed for quite some time. I was simply unaware when I bought my most recent Roku device
@MikeJC Using EmAiL@GmAiL.CoM (i.e somewhat random capitalization) worked for me, after several email and phone contacts with customer service didn't help. I traced the successful email back to AWS's email service, and would make an educated guess (I ran a regional ISP in a past life) that the troublesome emails are being hit by a screwed up spam blocking service (a better one wouldn't care about capitalization, which doesn't matter for email, a good one wouldn't be filtering these at all. No idea why anybody would do that to registered users. They have contact info for developers, which would be appropriate to Roku (not end-users like us), but it seems they don't want to pursue the issue. Danny does his best, but he's asking for things that don't end up being helpful.
A lot of these kinds of things are done with contract programmers these days, it may be that Roku no longer has a contract with them so there's no one to fix the problem. The cost in returned devices and lost customers is undoubtedly higher than the cost to fix this issue
@siraltok Yeah, that's been the fix that worked for me too. I spent several days trying, including PM, email, and phone (that one after I made it work) contacts with customer service. They acted concerned, and spent a fair amount of time, but in the end couldn't help. If it wasn't a new TV for occasional guestroom use I'd also have dumped Roku and found another streamer that worked, and we have multiple Rokus in both the summer and winter houses.
My email address are kind of weird, random letters and numbers created by a forwarding service, and while I could get gmail and yahoo addresses to work the one associated with my account wouldn't until the scrambled capitalization trick. FWIW, in the old days I ran an email server and tracked a lot of spam, today the forwarding service (sneakemail) is just a handy way to shut off individual addresses that have been sold or harvested by spammers, and I've used it to register online for 20 years. I can tell right away where they got it from, eBay, Kickstarter, and FacePlant seem to be a popular place for spammers to get their databases.