Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Re: Roku will not send activation link to my email

Jump to solution

Hi @Bgaff1 @Folkie 

Thanks for the post.

Please reply here with the serial number of the affected Roku device. It can be found at the back or underneath the player itself. I'll be able to further assist you from there.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Mooselake1
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I managed to activate my device by capitalizing the domain in my email address (i.e. DOMAIN.COM instead of domain.com), and went back and read the email headers on the message I finally received (I used to run a regional ISP, including it's email server, back in the dial-up dark ages). 

Roku is using Amazon's simple email service (Amazon SES).  Looks like it's doing some filtering and restrictions on delivery (To: ) email addresses,  deciding which domains they think are acceptable to send email to.  In other words, inept filtering for probably spam prevention, but done wrong (you'd filter on the domains email originates from, which would be pretty bizarre when sending validation emails from already approved accounts).  Not very good filtering, either, if changing capitalization defeats it - not that I'm complaining since it got me through the morass.

Judging from the responses of their tech support, along with a phone conversation I had with them, they don't have any idea how to troubleshoot this.  They did spend a fair amount of time on the phone with me, can't fault their efforts, but it's an issue their developers need to resolve.  Looks like SES provides tools for this, starting with this page in SES's online documentation.

Pure speculation on my part, but I'm guessing they outsourced their validation programming and those developers may have moved on to their next projects.  Likely the Roku trying to be validated phones home to something running on AWS (or connects to an AWS app if you prefer), which then uses the SES API to send an email.  Something inside SES (or maybe in Roku's own validator) decides that the destination email address of a previously verified account is unacceptable, and this attempt at validation is very broken, along with being inappropriate (validate destinations for valid accounts?  Huh?) to begin with.  If I can get this far with 10 minutes of looking at email headers and some web searching, and they haven't fixed it by now it's beyond their in-house skills.  Guessing some chatting with SES's tech support could have sorted it out for them pretty quick.

0 Kudos
jp05

Jump to solution

I cannot get our roku to work.  I keep getting “your email will not work.”  It will only stay on the activate your roku player screen, so I cannot use my phone as some suggested since it will not move off of the enter your email screen.  I have reset it numerous times.  I need help.  Is there a number to call?  The model is 3920x.  It has not worked for three days.

0 Kudos
Mooselake1
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Try entering the domain part of your email as DOMAIN.COM, or even Domain.Com, that worked for me fwiw.  Roku will ask you for your serial number, but support will then say they can't activate it for you when/if you manage to get a call back.    For example, say your email is jp at greatistispever.org, enter that as GreatistISPever.OrG, just change the case of some of the letters, and see if that works.

0 Kudos
srupr7154

Jump to solution

I also can not get an activation link and I have tried gmail too. sn s02c21dver4m

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@srupr7154

Thanks for the post

I have passed along your information to our Support team. They will follow up and assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ghippo
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

ROKU IS A DISASTER - Last night Roku wanted to update the software. The device started circling and "Progress" was stuck on 0% for about 5 minutes.  Roku could not connect to any of my channels, despite the fact that connection was green check marked on all 3 dots.  In the end I had to do factory reset and as many of you I am left and stuck on receiving the email with the verification code.  I have tried at least 5 times entering the wireless code, screen setup and entering my email address.  I am ready to step on that 3930x device.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hey @ghippo

We're sorry to hear about the issue you're experiencing.

Please reply here with the serial number of your Roku device. It can be found at the back or underneath the player itself. Once we have the information needed, we'll be able to forward it to our support team for further assistance.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Crusher
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

My Roku Express 4K+ Model 3941X Serial #S07P21A2DAS2 - am not receiving the activation email.  I have tried three different email addresses to get it activated, have checked the spam folder, and have reset the device twice.  I receive emails to this address from ROKU and the community forum.  Please help me activate the device or I will return it.

@RokuDanny-R  @RokuTannerD , @RokuKariza-D 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hello @Crusher

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

I have passed along your information and concern to our Support team. I'd recommend keeping an eye on your email since they'll be reaching out to you from there.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos