Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Magraz2021

Roku streaming stick setup account

Jump to solution

Just purchased roku stick.  It says to setup an account.  My question is are there free apps that I can download or is everything have to be purchased.  Is this any different then amazon stick? Reason is that I just want to download the spectrum app like I did with my iPad which was free

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku streaming stick setup account

Jump to solution

Most "channels" as Roku calls them (most people would call them apps) are free to download/install, but many require a subscription or a cable TV provider to authenticate against to watch anything.  There is plenty of free ad supported content and it isn't absolutely necessary to have a payment method attached to your Roku account.  If you do, I recommend setting up a PIN on your Roku account so that purchases can't be made without it being obvious.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku streaming stick setup account

Jump to solution

Most "channels" as Roku calls them (most people would call them apps) are free to download/install, but many require a subscription or a cable TV provider to authenticate against to watch anything.  There is plenty of free ad supported content and it isn't absolutely necessary to have a payment method attached to your Roku account.  If you do, I recommend setting up a PIN on your Roku account so that purchases can't be made without it being obvious.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.