Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jorgeCA

Roku reset- Using any roku assigned that was assigned to a previous owner

Jump to solution

Does anybody know if I reset a roku, and add it to my account, will that automatically remove it as a device in the previous owner's account OR do I need to tell him to remove that from his account as well?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku reset- Using any roku assigned that was assigned to a previous owner

Jump to solution

@jorgeCA

Thanks for the inquiry.

When a Roku device is factory reset, it will be unlinked to the Roku account that it was originally linked to.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @JRMFlorida,

Thanks for the inquiry.

Please be aware that removing the lost or stolen streaming device from your Roku account prevents unauthorized purchases.

For more information about how to secure your Roku account if your Roku device is stolen, visit our Support page here: What to do if your Roku device is lost or stolen | Official Roku Support

Please keep us posted if you need further assistance or clarification.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@jorgeCA

Thanks for the inquiry.

When a Roku device is factory reset, it will be unlinked to the Roku account that it was originally linked to.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JRMFlorida
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Building on that question, I had a roku stolen. So I specifically want to know isif I remove the Roku from my roku account will it automatically reset the actual Roku and reset all the channels/apps so any passwords entered would be erased? Or will the roku itself still have my information on it?

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @JRMFlorida,

Thanks for the inquiry.

Please be aware that removing the lost or stolen streaming device from your Roku account prevents unauthorized purchases.

For more information about how to secure your Roku account if your Roku device is stolen, visit our Support page here: What to do if your Roku device is lost or stolen | Official Roku Support

Please keep us posted if you need further assistance or clarification.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
JRMFlorida
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I appreciate your answer but I am looking for more detail.

A roku was stolen from me. I went in and removed it from my account. Here is the question

What happens when the person who has taken the roku hooks it up...what specifically happens

Are the same apps on the Roku still on there along with my email address?

or

does the Roku automatically reset to factory default with the new user prompted to enter his email address

or does something else happen? I appreciate the answer "prevents unauthorized purchases" but I would very much appreciate a little more detail. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@JRMFlorida 

The stolen Roku device would be in the exact same condition as if you personally disconnected the Roku device and plugged it into your neighbor's house.  (this is basically what the thief did.  He just moved it to a new location).

When booted up, all your information would still be there and you (and well as the thief) could watch exactly as if you were in your home.  Your Roku account (email address) is still present on the device and your logged-in channels would still work.

However, the Roku device is linked to your Roku account.  A Roku device needs to be linked to a Roku account in order to be used.  If you unlink the Roku device from your account, it will again need to be linked to a Roku account in order to work.   Unless the thief knows your password to your Roku account (to go along with the email address), he will need to factory reset the device and create his own Roku account in order to use the device again.

As an extra precaution, I would just change all passwords associated with the Roku. (your Roku account password as well as the passwords associated with your subscriptions, if applicable).  First step, of course is to unlink the Roku device from your Roku account.  Go to the online dashboard at  https://www.roku.com/ or https://my.roku.com/account and simply "Unlink" the applicable Roku device.

https://support.roku.com/article/208755958 (How to remove a Roku® streaming device from your Roku account)

https://support.roku.com/article/208757148 (What to do if your Roku device is lost or stolen)

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos