Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gatorwoman
Reel Rookie

Roku not recognizing my Fangor projector as a device

I bought a Fangor projector off of Amazon and a Roku stick so I could stream Netflix. Online reviews indicate that people have gotten the projector to work with the Roku stick but I can't figure out how. When pairing the stick, it asks me to select a TV brand. I don't have a TV (and don't want one) and Fangor isn't listed as a brand in the Roku setup. Roku won't let me proceed past this point in the setup. I was able to set up a Roku account without adding my credit card (there's no need for them to have my cc info), but my account shows no devices linked to my account. I'm assuming that's because I can't connect it with my projector. Also, the projector's instructions for which HDMI port to use on the projector was wrong; Once I moved the Roku stick to a different HDMI port, I was able to make some progress before I got stuck on the pairing step. So, I don't fully trust that either Fangor or Roku stick have usable instructions for all setups.

A friend found a list online of compatible projectors and Fangor WAS on the list, but I've spent at least 3 hours trying to figure out how to set it all up and I'm close to giving up and returning all of it to Amazon. I'd really like to be able to watch movies larger than on my laptop. If anyone can suggest how I can get Roku to recognize my Fangor projector and finish setting up, I'd appreciate it. I'm not completely tech-challenged, but have never tried to set up something like this before and I'm at a loss.

7 REPLIES 7
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: Roku not recognizing my Fangor projector as a device

IR remotes don’t “pair”.  It’s just a matter of finding a compatible code.  Sometimes you can find some other code that works, but in any case, the most that happens is the volume and power buttons on the Roku remote won’t control the projector, and you’ll need to use the projector controls for that. As it happens, I actually prefer to not have my Roku remote control my TV, so I lie to it anyway, so if I happen to press a volume control on the Roku remote, it sends some bogus code that nothing in the room responds to anyway.  (Not saying you must do that, just pointing out that there is nothing about finding an IR code – or not – that keeps you from functioning.)

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@gatorwoman, when it says it can't control your device it's speaking of the projector.  That doesn't mean the remote won't work with the stick.  If you don't mind using two remotes then just use the projector's remote to control the volume.  If the projector supports CEC then there's a way to get the Roku remote to control the volume.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
gatorwoman
Reel Rookie

I wouldn't mind having to use 2 remotes --- I just have to get Roku to recognize my projector first. Do you have any suggestions for how to get it to recognize a brand name that's not in its list of brand names (and it only lists TV brands)? Roku is allegedly compatible with Fangor projectors, but I can't complete Roku setup because it doesn't recognize my projector brand name.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

You don't need it to recognize the projector.  That's only to set up the remote to control the volume of the projector which doesn't look like it's possible.  Just try pressing Home or Back on your remote or disconnect the power to the stick and connect it again.  You basically want to cancel the part of the setup where you configure the remote to control the projector or skip it if given the option.  Once it's paired to the stick you just want to get to the part where you link the stick to your Roku account.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
dvsone1440

I am not finding anyway to go "back" power off home etc.. all bring me back to the remote setup menu which will not let me cancel out.  I talked to roku support and they told me it was a glitch they fixed.  The "glitch" being that it could be set up previously with a projector.  I have been using a stick with this projector for years.  Now I want to upgrade to the ultra and this baloney.  If anyone knows how to get past this menu please let me know

dsnipes

I purchased an AuKing projector and ROKU will not recognize mine as well. I'm in the same boat as you. I need an answer as well. 

RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hi @dsnipes

Thanks for your post. 

We'd like to know more about how we can help. Could you walk us through the problem that you are seeing? Do you receive an error message or code? Have you firmly connected the cable? What troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue?

Keep us posted on what you find out. 

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos