Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheKuchars
Reel Rookie

Roku for AirBnb guests - multiple property strategy

I manage multiple properties on AirBnb/VRBO and am going to add Roku for my guests. I heard there was a way to share a link with guests prior to their arrival so that they could have the opportunity to setup their logins BEFORE they arrive. Is this really possible? If so, is this feature only available on certain Roku devices? I just bought the Express 4k initially just to get familiar with the service. 

Secondly, should I set these devices up under different accounts that would be associated with each individual property or all under one? I wasn't sure if I had several Roku's in guest mode under one account if  say someone added their Netflix login on one device if it would show up under the other devices automagically. 

Lastly, which model would you recommend for this use case? I'm considering the 4k stick now after looking at the cleaner install it appears to have.

Thanks for your thoughts!

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku for AirBnb guests - multiple property strategy

I'm no expert on Guest Mode, but I'll take a crack at your questions.

• All current models support Guest Mode (if not all past models), so it doesn't matter which one you get.  I couldn't find any mention of guests being able to do anything before they arrive in the documentation.
  • I don't think there's any reason to have multiple Roku accounts.  You can set each device linked to your account to Guest Mode independently of the others.  Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure if you have more than one device on your account set to Guest Mode they don't interact with each other in any way.  There is a limit of 20 devices that you can link to one Roku account.
  • My mantra is "skip the stick".  Between the numerous complaints of the long range wireless receiver (or whatever they're calling it these days) failing and the inability to use any third party remote (other than the app) I can't see a good reason to use them.  I certainly wouldn't want to put one someplace that isn't under my control as it's far too easy for that absolutely necessary and almost impossible to replace long range wireless receiver to get broken or swapped out by some unscrupulous guest.   Some people do love them and I have a couple that haven't given me any problems.

You can read about Guest Mode here:

How to turn Guest Mode on and off on your Roku® streaming device | Roku

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
TheKuchars
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the reply. So are you suggesting that the Express 4k+ might be a better solution than the 4k stick? I don't know the history of these devices and what known issues tend to pop-up. 

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
MilesT
Roku Guru

Configure a pin on account to prevent adding channel as a fallback.

Experiment with a couple of roku on same account at home and see if all works as expected when you swap them into/out of guest mode and add apps using a test roku account.

Don't put them on your personal roku account

You will get losses, go with the cheapest device/remote you can (Express grade with Simple IR remote).  Consider adding a big keyring to the fabric Roku tab on the remote to prevent loosing it into furniture and discourage theft.

Do plug power into wall, not TV, for reliability.

If kitting out a high end property, maybe put in a Streambar instead, but swap the remote for a Simple IR (3rd party clone or second hand), or a 3rd party combined remote (oneforall 7935 is a good option to control TV volume as well).

Not a Roku employee
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@TheKuchars wrote:

I heard there was a way to share a link with guests prior to their arrival so that they could have the opportunity to setup their logins BEFORE they arrive. Is this really possible?

As to this specific question, I don't believe that's true. Certainly not a feature I've ever heard of, and the logistics of offering something like that seem daunting.

I suggest staying away from both the Stick and Express models. The Express 4K+ is a very well priced model that is built on the latest hardware. The Stick can have overheating issues at times, being placed so close to the TV itself, as well as the problems with the WiFi antenna issue. The basic Express is single band WiFi, as well as being on previous generation hardware. It also only had an IR remote, although that's an advantage for longer battery life. But not requiring line of sight between the Roku and the remote allows many more placement choices. The Express 4K+ is (I believe) well worth the additional cost. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.