Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johandh
Reel Rookie

Roku express no longer turns TV on over HDMI

Jump to solution

I could always press the home button on my Roku remote and that would turn ON my TV via the HDMI connection. I also could turn off the TV via the menu by selecting OFF again via HDMI. But since Roku did a software upgrade on 10/27, my TV no longer switches on whenever I press the home button. Selecting OFF via the Roku menu causes the Roku to give and audible beep, instead of turning off the TV! Why?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku express no longer turns TV on over HDMI

Jump to solution

The Roku was upgraded and so the tv no longer recognizes it as cec device, try upgrading  the cec devices in your TV settings. If there isn't  an option try unplugging the Roku power and the tv for bit, plug them back in. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

The Roku was upgraded and so the tv no longer recognizes it as cec device, try upgrading  the cec devices in your TV settings. If there isn't  an option try unplugging the Roku power and the tv for bit, plug them back in. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
johandh
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks @Tivoburkee,

I had to turn off power to the Roku, turn the TV on and now power the Roku (a restart would probably also have done). Seems the Roku did not recognize the TV until it saw the device during startup?

We live rural, which  means regular short power failures, I assume one of those broke the Roku. This is the first time the Roku no longer worked after a power failure so the next time this happens I will probably have forgotten what to do.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
adams2222
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you so much for this wisdom. I was going nuts and now everything works good. I had tried to factory reset and it didn’t help but unplugging the TV for a while and then plugging it in and then plugging in the Roku etc. worked great. Much obliged.

0 Kudos