Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
virtualoo
Channel Surfer

Roku Tv-Roku Exress 4K+ not working

I own a Roku TV and got a streaming device with my remote since it would have been the same price before a sale. It is not connecting despite following instructions 

is this due to me already having a roku tv with those things included on it?

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
DellStreamer
Streaming Star

Re: Roku Tv-Roku Exress 4K+ not working

So you own a Roku TV (manufacturer is?) and you bought a Roku Express to plug into it? May I ask why? Does your Roku TV not work anymore? What is not connecting? Your Roku TV or your Roku Express? Or are you trying to use the remote that came with your Express to control your TV? Not exactly sure I follow what you’re trying to do

0 Kudos
virtualoo
Channel Surfer

I didn’t know if it was necessary to use owning a Roku tv already. I only needed a remote but what I would have paid for just the remote at the time I got this included in a sale. Not sure what to do with it

0 Kudos
DellStreamer
Streaming Star

I’m still not sure exactly what your issue is? Did you lose the remote for your Roku TV? Is the remote for your Roku TV not working? Who is the manufacturer of your TV? You could easily purchase any IR remote that supports Roku TVs. You can pick them up at Walmart, Target or Amazon for $10-20. So your Roku TV works perfectly fine? Correct? So return the Roku Express you bought. If you need a remote in the meantime you can download the official Roku remote control app for your smart phone. 

0 Kudos
virtualoo
Channel Surfer

I only needed the remote. But there was a sale to also get the Roku express with my remote for the same price I would have paid for just the remote. Wasn’t sure what to do with the little streaming bit or if it was even necessary since my Roky tv I own works perfectly fine.

0 Kudos
DellStreamer
Streaming Star

@virtualoo  Ok but why did you need a new remote? Did you lose it? Is it not working? For free you can download the official Roku remote control app for your smart phone. You can also pick up a universal remote for $10 at Walmart. Just be sure it’s an IR remote and it works with Roku. Return the Roku device you just bought. Your TV uses an IR remote. The remote that comes with your Roku Express is an RF remote. Who is the manufacturer of your TV? TCL? ONN? Sharp? Hisense? You can often find those remotes for very cheap at Walmart or Amazon. 

0 Kudos
virtualoo
Channel Surfer

I lost it and I did have the roku app. I just didn’t want to have to switch out of whatever I was doing on phone to use the remote. I can just give the express piece to someone else if I don’t Need that part

0 Kudos
DellStreamer
Streaming Star

@virtualoo  A Roku is useless with a remote. You will not be able to get the Roku online without a remote. Return the Roku Express you bought. Who is the manufacturer of your Roku TV? Walmart sells TCL Roku TV remotes for $8. Walmart sell tons of universal remotes as well as Amazon for cheap that will work with your Roku TV. So who is the manufacturer of your TV? TCL, ONN, Hisense, Sharp? Did you pair the remote that came with your Express with your Roku TV? Meaning can you use the remote to control your Roku TV?

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@virtualoo 

Normally it seems the better deal is to get the Roku device w/ the Roku remote like you did.  Usually just put the streaming box portion in a drawer and keep as a backup for another future TV.

If you end up giving it to someone, just let them know they need to purchase either a Roku Remote or a Roku-compatible universal streaming remote.

Whenever you have a new Roku device, or you Factory Reset an existing Roku device, you will need a physical remote to complete setup before being able to use the Roku Mobile Remote App.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
DellStreamer
Streaming Star

@AvsGunnar  Unless they bought the Express for under $10 it’s not a better deal than this

Angrox Remote Control Applicable for TCL Roku TV Remote,Universal for Hisense/ONN/Sharp Roku Smart LED TVs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GS1S9XY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_RYCZWCMRSN84DHYDKY4N?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

0 Kudos