Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eewulf

Roku Stick stuck in an update loop but not connected to wifi

I'm trying to connect a new-to-me Roku streaming stick but repeatedly getting an Error 003 "Can't Update" message after it starts up. The options I'm able to select on this screen are "try updating again" and "cancel." I haven't been able to connect the stick to my wifi so of course it can't update. If I select "cancel" a purple screen appears with the Roku logo quite small in the upper left corner of the screen and nothing else. From here there is no onscreen response to any remote commands although I can hear the button push registering--the little doot noise sounds on the tv speakers with each button push.

The very first time I booted it all up I was taken through the correct set-up screens but my wifi wasn't functioning properly and roku couldn't connect. It was at this point that it attempted to update and got stuck in this loop. 

The device is not yet associated with my account and I have no IP address for it because it's not connected to internet. I'm unable to access settings or any other function via the tv. I've rebooted it a good 15 times with same outcome and taken the batteries out of the remote and repaired it a few times too just for good measure. No dice. Anyone familiar with this? Anything else to try?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Stick stuck in an update loop but not connected to wifi

Hi @eewulf

Welcome to the Roku Community!

I'd be delighted to look closely to see how we may assist you in getting started. 

For troubleshooting purposes, have you tried re-connecting your Roku to a solid wireless network to see if that helps resolve the issue you are seeing? You may also try to connect to an alternate wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you are experiencing the same issue.

With detailed information, we will be better able to assist you.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Stick stuck in an update loop but not connected to wifi

Try a factory reset.  There should be a button on the stick.  With the power connected press and hold the button for no less than 30 seconds.

How do I factory reset my Roku® streaming device? | Official Roku Support

Once it starts over with the "Let's get started" screen if you're still having a problem with your Internet connection you might want to try an alternate network like your phone's hotspot just to get through the initial setup.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos