Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ShawnyMac
Reel Rookie

Roku Stick Constantly Factory Resets Itself

I recently switched back to Roku using a 4K streaming stick.  It "factory resets" itself about once a week. I have to go through the whole setup process again and authenticate and move all my tiles around and delete tiles that I've deleted 20 times before.  I even have to pair the remote to the stick again.

I have an unfounded guess that this has something to do with the new System > Power settings that I've (personally) never seen before back when I was a regular Roku box user.

Regardless, it is VERY annoying.  

5 REPLIES 5
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Stick Constantly Factory Resets Itself

Hey @ShawnyMac

We're sorry to hear about the issue you're experiencing.

Could you tell us how are you powering your Roku device? Is it connected to the USB port of the TV or to a wall outlet? In some cases, the USB power provided by the TV is not sufficient to power the device. Even though your Roku device may appear to be working, running with insufficient power can lead to instability, crashing, and other unpredictable behavior.

Using the included power cord and power adapter, we suggest plugging your Roku into a working power outlet in the wall. Powering it through a power outlet in the wall has the additional advantage that your Roku player will not need to power up every time you turn on your TV. 

Please keep us posted!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
ShawnyMac
Reel Rookie

It is indeed powered by USB. That's why I picked the streaming stick. I was out of outlets. The USB power was the selling point of the freaking unit.

I switched to outlet power (via a RIDICULOUS extension cord. Thanks!).  

And tonight was two nights in a row that it factory reset and I had to start all over, down to pairing the remote.

If it does it again, this fifth Roku product is definitely my last. I'll take it into the garage, shatter it with a hammer, buy an Apple TV and never look back. 

Have a great day and thanks for the helpful suggestion!

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@ShawnyMac 

Did you disable the "Power Saving" feature?  It does seem to be causing some issues but haven't seen it causing factory resets.

Normally, it seems that the repeated/frequent factory resets on the Streaming Sticks is an indication of device failure (flash memory problem) if not attributable to low power source.  

If new (or at least under a year old), best course of action may just be to replace it through warranty. 

(https://support.roku.com/article/208757158) and (https://support.roku.com/article/208757058)

If you are going through devices and they are plugged into this same TV's power USB, it could be that the USB power is insufficent and is prematurely lending itself to device failure.  Underpowered devices will certainly struggle and be more prone to heat as a result.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
aa2019
Binge Watcher

I have the Roku Streaming Stick 4K+ (2021) and have the same issue.  It's happened at least 5 times.  Meanwhile my Fire TV Stick works just fine plugged into the TV's USB port.  Honestly I don't know how Roku devices have become so poorly made.  I have two Roku Ultra's that can no longer play Netflix.  That's three out of the six Roku devices I own that are malfunctioning.   Might be time to put all of them on ebay.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@aa2019

Thanks for the post.

If you power the Roku device through a wall outlet, are you experiencing the same issue? It's possible that the TV isn't providing adequate power to the Roku device.

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos