Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bakcp123
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku Premiere and HDMI to AV converter box on older Plasma Panasonic TV

UPDATE:  it is a faulty Roku streaming device; I just tried it on 2 TV in our home that already have Roku; switched out everything from old roku to new roku all cords etc.(didn’t use converter at all)

Same response, it cannot connect to internet, my internet speed  is show at 114.8 MBPS

So after a long exhausting day, I will return my Roku Premier to Amazon.

Thank you again for all your help, this was just one of those things !

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Great troubleshoot work. Yeah, sometimes the hardware is just bad. I've had one Roku device in 8 years that was bad, and its replacement has been fine for about 5 years. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
bakcp123
Channel Surfer

Such great advise, this Panasonic 40 in TV

was probably bought in 2008, so I guess it’s time. I like what you said about Best Buy and under $200 for an LG with Dolby vision. Buts what is a Shield ?  

0 Kudos
atc98092

Nvidia Shield. It's both a streaming player and also a limited gaming console. There two versions, with the Pro being better for gaming. It's much more expensive than a Roku and more complicated to configure for streaming home media, but it has a Gigabit Ethernet connection and supports virtually all video/audio codecs and containers, as well as captions. So for my home media it's better than a Roku. But for $150 it better be. For casual streaming and most Internet sources I still use a Roku in most cases. 

I didn't get my LG that cheap, but then it's 55" as well. I got a Vizio 4K V405-H19 for $219.99, and that price is still on their web site. And yes, it does Dolby Vision, not that I need it for this particular use. If you stick with a 1080 set (and at that size, 4K is of questionable value) they are as low as $150. I went 4K because I also use it as my secondary computer monitor while teleworking, and it's great at that resolution for that purpose. 

Dan

0 Kudos
bakcp123
Channel Surfer

Hi ATC 98092, great info. I like Vizio products.  I am sure glad you were available to help me; you have great technical knowledge. Tomorrow we will go to Best Buy and check out that Vizio.  
thank you again for all your patience with me.  Keep up the great work !!!

0 Kudos
joanie81

How much is converter and where do I get it...?

0 Kudos
atc98092

@joanie81 there are literally hundreds available from places like Amazon or other web sites. You are looking for one that converts HDMI to analog, not the other way around. You can find them as cheaply as $15, but I would hesitate about the quality of one that inexpensive. But I also have to caution that they don't always work with a Roku, so I suggest making sure you can return it if it doesn't work correctly. 

Dan

0 Kudos