Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bakcp123
Channel Surfer

Roku Premiere and HDMI to AV converter box on older Plasma Panasonic TV

For my older Panasonic Plasma TV with no HDMI input; I purchased Roku Premier and a

HDMI to AV converter.  All is connected and on my screen this is the Roku message I get this response:  THE USB PORT ON YOUR TV WILL NOT POWER THIS ROKU DEVICE.

PLEASE USE A USB POWER ADAPTER. 

Any ideas here to help me ???

Chris

0 Kudos
16 REPLIES 16
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Premiere and HDMI to AV converter box on older Plasma Panasonic TV

How are you powering the Premiere? Are you using the power adapter that came with it, and have it plugged into a wall outlet? Many devices with USB ports, such as TVs or routers, don't provide enough power for devices like a Roku player.          

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
bakcp123
Channel Surfer

Thank you for answering, yes my Roku ac adapter is connected to the wall.  And I have double checked to make sure it’s roku adapter.  Do I need to buy a more powerful adapter ?  I don’t think its the HDMI to AV adapter that’s the problem.

0 Kudos
atc98092

No, that should be fine for the Premiere. However, it's always possible that a defective power cube made it out of the factory. If you have some other power source handy, even if it's a USB port on the TV, you might give it a try to eliminate one possible issue. And I'm assuming the converter has its own power supply.

Dan

0 Kudos
bakcp123
Channel Surfer

Thank You ATC, Good idea, I have another ROKU Premier device I will switch the AC adapter from that one to this one and see if that corrects this problem.

My HDMI to AC converter has its own power supply, so that’s good.  

0 Kudos
bakcp123
Channel Surfer

Tried AC adapter from a another Roku Premier same response.  Than tried a HDMI cord from another Roku and inserted to roku and converter, same response.

Also tried switched out an existing Roku streaming device to this converter, same response.  Now its showing on the Roku screen : go.roku.com/lowpower

I sure wish Roku would have kept their phone support like they had in existence last summer. 

0 Kudos
bakcp123
Channel Surfer

I forgot to mention I dont have an USB input on the older TV.

0 Kudos
atc98092

I hate to say it, but since you've tried everything, including a completely different Roku, then it seems the issue is with the HDMI-analog converter. There's nothing else in the chain you haven't swapped, except maybe the HDMI cable. How it's causing that message, I can't say. But I can't see a scenario where the Roku is the issue here. 

Dan

0 Kudos
bakcp123
Channel Surfer

Appreciate all your patience on my problem.  Ok I get that; would you think I should just buy another HDMI to AV converter from a different company ?  Or just wait to buy a new TV.  

0 Kudos
atc98092

Well, I gave up on my Panasonic plasma almost two years ago, and it was probably newer than yours. Mine had HDMI inputs and did 1080p just fine. I mainly replaced it because it was my main family room set and I wanted 4K/HDR, and ended up with an LG that even does Dolby Vision. I use both a Roku and a Shield on it with no issues at all. You haven't said what size your TV is, so that of course has to factor into any replacement decision. As you know, prices climb rapidly as size increases, especially if you go to 4K. Although I did just buy a 40" Vizio 4K TV for use as both a computer monitor and with my Premiere, and it was only a bit over $200 at Best Buy. 

You might try a different converter from a different manufacturer, but only if the seller has a reasonable return policy. I wouldn't keep dropping money on something you can't determine it will work for your scenario.

Dan

0 Kudos