Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Olivas91
Reel Rookie

Roku Premiere Stopped Working

My roku premiere was working fine then all of a sudden it stopped working. The screen went black and we have not been able to pull up the roku screen. We know the problem is with the roku because our direct tv is connected to the same tv and the direct tv works fine. We have doubled checked the input source and it is on the correct channel, we have tried resetting it with a paperclip for 30 seconds, switching out the HDMI cord, switching out the batteries, unplugging and plugging the roku back in, and we even reset the internet and still nothing. When we do have it plugged in there is a white light that blinks quickly on the front of the roku. Can anyone please let me know how to fix this? Thanks!

0 Kudos
36 REPLIES 36
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Premiere Stopped Working

When you used the paperclip was it plugged into the power? To do a factory reset you have to have power, insert something into the pinhols for at 50 seconds for sure to reset. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Olivas91
Reel Rookie

Yes, we tried that and it did not work. We even tried switching the roku to a different Tv and it still didnt work.

0 Kudos
Jacqueline2
Reel Rookie

Same problem here. I've tried replacing the HDMI cable, the power cable, and using it on a different TV - nothing will get it to start up again. Did anyone ever find a solution to this?

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Jacqueline2 

You have pretty much done all the recommended things except the Factory Reset. (Press and hold reset button for 30+ seconds).

Additionally you mentioned replacing power cable.  Have you tried replacing the power adapter?  Any 1amp, 5Volt adapter should work (cell phone charger) and plug the Premiere directly into wall power.

If you have tried all the above, then you may have a failed device, requiring replacement. 

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Jacqueline2
Reel Rookie

thanks for the reply! Yes, I tried the reset too and a new power supply. The device gets pretty hot, so I’m pretty sure it’s getting power… and wonder if maybe something inside has been damaged from overheating. 

its 18 months old, so Roku won’t replace it, right? I think it’s time to switch to a chrome cast.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hey @Jacqueline2

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

I have passed along your information and concern to our Support team. They will follow up and further assist you through email.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
JJ646
Binge Watcher

Ive tried absolutely everything for my Roku Premier. I have a second, newer Roku which works fine. Does the premier just stop working after a few years?

DBDukes

@JJ646 

Anything will stop working after a few years. Roku devices. Refrigerators. Cats. Anything really. I recently retired a Roku Premiere+ from 2016. I have another Premiere+ from 2018 that still works. I have an Ultra from 2017 that works. Other devices are out of service because I retired them and replaced them with newer devices.

How old is the device?

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

JJ646
Binge Watcher

It's my 4th Roku. I bought it in 2020. Roku Premier.  I wondered if this specific device had a shorter life span.

0 Kudos