Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lukie
Streaming Star

Re: Roku Express set up - connecting roku to power kills the tv

I am not a tv technician, but I know the identifying sounds the tv makes when it is first powered on for the day.  When the roku is unplugged from the power source, the tv makes that identical sound as it powers up and cable picture reappears.  So it still seems to me that power to the roku is killing power to the tv and vice versa

0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

@Lukie I am really graphing at straws here but are the TV and the Roku plugged into a power strip that has a circuit breaker or something?  Are the Roku and TV plugged into the same source?

0 Kudos
FastFurious
Roku Guru

@Lukie  So you have 3 Roku devices. 2 Roku Expresses and some other one that is connected to your Samsung tv. Take the Roku from your Samsung tv and plug it into your other tv. If the same thing happens it’s your tv. Three Roku devices cannot have the same issue 

0 Kudos
Lukie
Streaming Star

Based on following results, problem seems most likely related to the Samsung tv but proof is not absolute.

1.  Old Roku Express, New roku express and the 3rd roku which is and has been connected to LG tv and working perfectly) all kill power to the Samsung tv that we have been discussing when the roku is connected to power source. 

2, The New Roku Express and 3rd roku connected to LG tv both work with the Lg tv, but the old Roku express kills power to the LG tv when roku is connected to power.  Seems like this at least partially indicts the old Roku Express

0 Kudos
FastFurious
Roku Guru

So you have a faulty Roku and a faulty Samsung TV correct?

0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

@Lukie   What happens to the Samsung TV when something other than the Roku is plugged into the same power source as you are using for the Roku.  Try a vacuum cleaner, can opener, and other devices?  Do any or all of these kill power to the Samsung TV?  The fact that the LG TV lost power when you used the old Roku Express concerns me that you may have a wiring problem in your home.  

0 Kudos
Lukie
Streaming Star

vacuum cleaner work fine when plugged into the outlet we used for Roku power and tv continues to work.

0 Kudos
Lukie
Streaming Star

there appears to be some issue with both

0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

@Lukie   Disconnect the HDMI cable from the Roku Express and then plug the Roku Express into the power source.  Does the Samsung TV continue to work?

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Lukie 

In line with @HDMIGuy, since you are switching between all these devices for your testing, are you using both the new power cable and the new power adapter that came with the new Express.

Or are you swapping devices leaving the original power supply cable and adapter in place.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102