Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Express set up - connecting roku to power kills the tv

@Lukie What happens when you power on the Roku Express and the TV goes blank and you change the input on the TV to the cable box?  Do you still get the cable picture correctly?

0 Kudos
Lukie
Streaming Star

Don't know why cable box was set to 480.  Changed it to 1080 reconnected roku - tv goes dead.  unplug roku, tv powers back up.

0 Kudos
FastFurious
Roku Guru

Your Roku is not killing your tv power. That’s impossible  So now your cable box is set to 1080 and everything works fine? It’s kinda of odd 2 Roku devices are doing the same thing. Do you have another tv to try? Or maybe a friends tv or a family members tv? 

0 Kudos
Lukie
Streaming Star

cable works correctly on either HDMI connection

0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

@Lukie Does the cable work correctly when the Roku is attached to the other HDMI and powered on or only works when the Roku is powered off?

0 Kudos
Lukie
Streaming Star

WE have roku on another tv which works fine.  Not sure what model roku that was - not a stick and not ultra.  Only number on the back of it that I can make out is C53955359924.

This will also suggest the Samsung tv has a problem but the cable works fine on either hdmi connection so a bit illogical.

0 Kudos
Lukie
Streaming Star

when I say the tv goes dead, I mean no power so am unable to change input after it loses power.

0 Kudos
FastFurious
Roku Guru

@HDMIGuy  They had a. Roku Express and cable hooked up before working properly. It’s closer something is wrong with the tv. Best thing to do is to try both Roku devices on another tv

0 Kudos
FastFurious
Roku Guru

@Lukie  Your Roku cannot turn your tv off. That’s impossible. The Roku model number is stamped on the outside of the Roku. Take your old Express and plug it into the Samsung TV. What happens? Also try the new Roku Express 

0 Kudos
Lukie
Streaming Star

the samsung tv is where the problem is and what this entire conversation is / was related to.  Are you suggesting try them both on the other tv here?  I know the new Roku express works on the other tv, but haven't tried the old roku express there.  will try that.

0 Kudos