Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ReggieS

Roku Express Setup finds wireless network, signs in, performs update, reboots and goes back to setup

It's and endless loop. After the reboot the Roku letters bounce around 3-4 times and then goes back to the setup screen, asking me to choose a language.  I find it interesting that even after downloading the newest software and rebooting, I go through the setup wizard again and it still states it sees an available update...which it downloads, reboots, bounces the Roku letters, and goes back to language choice.

11 REPLIES 11
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Express Setup finds wireless network, signs in, performs update, reboots and goes back t...

Hello @ReggieS

Thanks for posting here in the Community.

Could you tell us how are you powering your Roku device? Is it connected to the USB port of the TV or to a wall outlet? In some cases, the USB power provided by the TV is not sufficient to power the device. Even though your Roku device may appear to be working, running with insufficient power can lead to instability, crashing, and other unpredictable behavior.

Using the included power cord and power adapter, we suggest plugging your Roku into a working power outlet in the wall. Powering it through a power outlet in the wall has the additional advantage that your Roku player will not need to power up every time you turn on your TV.

Let us know if there's any difference after.

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
ReggieS

Re: Roku Express Setup finds wireless network, signs in, performs update, reboots and goes back t...

Initially I was using the USB on the TV.  Then I tried using an AC/USB Adapter plugged into the wall.  Same result.  I then connected the unit to another TV and ran the complete setup.  Took it back to the original TV and it just displays Roku logo, black, Roku logo, black, Roku logo, etc.

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@ReggieS-

I'd suggest taking it back to the TV where you were able to set it up.  Under Settings > Display type, try setting it to the screen resolution of the TV on which you intend to use the Roku, instead of the "Auto detect" setting.  I'm kinda grasping at straws here, so this may not help, but it shouldn't hurt.

When you change the Display type to a new setting it runs you through several screens:

• A screen where you can choose from the available options on that device.
  • A screen where it analyzes your choice to be sure your tv supports it, then gives the option of trying that choice if you wish.  Choose the screen resolution for the other tv.
  • A screen with a countdown timer and two choices:
        Yes, screen looks good
        No, I will choose a different setting
    The "No" option is highlighted by default. To keep the screen resolution you're currently trying, you need to arrow up to the "Yes" option and click on it before the timer runs out.

Now return to the original TV and see if that works for you.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
SharronM

Re: Roku Express Setup finds wireless network, signs in, performs update, reboots and goes back to s

My exact same problem!  I just received this Express remote - wondered if it was the Remote's problem! Ready to take it back to the store!!!

0 Kudos
SharronM

This is SharronM.  It worked for me when I switched to using the ROKU plug and not the USB plug in on the back of the TV.

THANK YOU!!

agriswold1

Re: Roku Express Setup finds wireless network, signs in, performs update, reboots and goes back to s

same thing is currently happening to me. i have the USB plugged into a adapter plugged into the wall but it keeps bouncing me back to the setup screen after "downloading update". I'm honestly about to take it back to the store and get my money back this is ridiculous. I'm honestly very disappointed in this product. Roku was recommended to me by a close family friend so for this to be my experience is disheartening and honestly infuriating.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @agriswold1,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We understand your sentiments regarding this issue and we would feel the same way. We will work with you to know what went wrong so we can assist you further and fix the issue.

Here are a few things to try:

1. We recommend performing a factory reset on the device to see if you are seeing the same issue. You may refer to this link for more information on how to factory reset your Roku device: How to system restart or factory reset your Roku streaming device | Official Roku Support
  2. For troubleshooting purposes, have you tried connecting those Roku devices to another TV to see if you are experiencing the same issue?
  3. As a last resort, if you are still experiencing an issue, we would recommend disconnecting your wireless network, then rebooting your Roku device to see if your Roku device is experiencing the same issue. Once the device is getting past the home screen, try reconnecting your wireless network.

These steps should resolve the issue you are experiencing, however, if the issue is still unresolved, please reply back and we will be able to assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
nosale
Channel Surfer

So Paramount Plus won't stream on Samsung TV's. Buy Roku box, OK shouldn't have to but OK. Roku box will not join internet with proper code. Oh maybe I can get some human help? 

0 Kudos
nosale
Channel Surfer

You and Paramount Plus both have great sales prevention departments, you both SUCK. 

0 Kudos