Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RichEcommunity
Channel Surfer

Roku Express 4K+ doesn't work after it automatically updated on first use.

Jump to solution

Have a roku express 4K+ I bought a while ago, but less than a year ago, and just got around to setting it up.

All went well until it connected to my wifi, and did an update and restarted.

Now the remote doesn't work at all.  I checked the remote is working via a digital camera (can see the flashing), and it DID work originally to set up the wifi!

So is this just junk?

Tried to get an agent to talk to me but website says there's no support for this device.

Or did I miss some other support option?

Thanks.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Express 4K+ doesn't work after it automatically updated on first use.

Jump to solution

The remote that comes with the Express 4K+ is really two remotes combined into one. 

The part that controls the limited TV functions (power on/off, volume, mute) controls via direct line of sight infrared (IR).  That's what you can test via your phone's camera.  If these TV controls don't work:

• Make sure the line of sight between the remote and the Roku is not blocked and that the front face of the Roku is pointed outward in full view of the remote.
  • You may need to set the remote up for your TV brand again.  Roku menu path:
    "Settings -> Remotes & devices > Remotes".  At this point if your remote has already been setup for the TV but you need to reset it, arrow down to select your "Remote (in use)".  Now select "Set up remote for TV control" .. And follow the prompts.

The control for the Roku itself is over a point-anywhere wifi connection and requires the remote to be paired to the Roku.  If the Roku commands aren't working, you may need to re-pair the remote to the Roku.  Video from Roku re how to pair point-anywhere remote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK3T6eXqPU8

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

The remote that comes with the Express 4K+ is really two remotes combined into one. 

The part that controls the limited TV functions (power on/off, volume, mute) controls via direct line of sight infrared (IR).  That's what you can test via your phone's camera.  If these TV controls don't work:

• Make sure the line of sight between the remote and the Roku is not blocked and that the front face of the Roku is pointed outward in full view of the remote.
  • You may need to set the remote up for your TV brand again.  Roku menu path:
    "Settings -> Remotes & devices > Remotes".  At this point if your remote has already been setup for the TV but you need to reset it, arrow down to select your "Remote (in use)".  Now select "Set up remote for TV control" .. And follow the prompts.

The control for the Roku itself is over a point-anywhere wifi connection and requires the remote to be paired to the Roku.  If the Roku commands aren't working, you may need to re-pair the remote to the Roku.  Video from Roku re how to pair point-anywhere remote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK3T6eXqPU8

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
RichEcommunity
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

EXCELLENT, doing the pairing fixed it.  THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

Sure was weird that it worked initially, then after update stopped working though.

Is there a way to close or mark this as answered?

0 Kudos