Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
acruz201
Reel Rookie

Roku 3930x works on 1 tv but not another

I have 2 roku devices model 3930x and 3900rw connected to separate TV's. they both worked fine until recently when I would turn on tv with roku in my room it will work but if my brother would turn on his it will not work and vice versa.  I have restarted both roku with no help. I have rebooted router with no help. I have changed network channel on router with no help either. My internet speed is 300Mbps. Any help would be appreciated.   

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku 3930x works on 1 tv but not another

Trying to understand the question.

Are you saying that whichever one you use first works normally but it prevents the other one from working?

When one of them "does not work" what exactly does this mean?  You get nothing on the screen at all?  You get the home page but it won't respond to the remote?  You click on something but it won't play?  Something else?

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
acruz201
Reel Rookie

It does not matter which of us start to stream first but as soon as the second roku device is activated the roku home page comes up but one of us will not be able to connect to the internet. At other times no other devices are connected to the internet and yet not even one tv will connect to the internet as soon as the roku device is connected. The roku home page comes up but again when I try to stream a movie or a show it will not connect to the internet. At other times both TV's will work like they originally did when I purchased them. It is so frustrating to not be able to figure this out. 

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Sorry, @acruz201 , but I've never encountered anything like that, and I haven't got an inkling of anything for you to try.  I have no problem running all three of my Roku installations at once without them interfering with each other in any way.

Grasping at straws here ... What do you have for your router?   Does it have a low limit on how many devices it can support at the same time?

Maybe some of our other visitors who have a better grasp on networking will have some suggestions.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

0 Kudos
acruz201
Reel Rookie

Thanks for trying. That is the problem I am having. I cannot grasp what can cause this. I have a NETGEAR model R6230 which is supposed to handle up to 20 devices within a 1200 sq ft coverage. 

0 Kudos
makaiguy

20 devices isn't all that many in a modern home.  Multiple televisions, streamers, phones, tablets, smart thermostats, and tons of other "smart" devices make use of wireless connections, many still in the crowded 2.4 GHz band.

From your router's control panel there should be some way to see a list of the connected devices.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@acruz201 

Since these devices used to work properly together, the easiest thing to do with Netgear routers is to just factory reset the router. (not the Roku devices).

If the router is connected to a seperate ISP modem (or ISP modem/router), then make sure your Netgear is set to Router and the DHCP server is Enabled.  On the ISP modem or modem router, make sure that one is set to Bridge/Bridged and that its DHCP server is Disabled.

Sounds like you may an actual routing problem if devices are being kicked off when another device joins network to use internet. (Normally indicator that something is wrong with DHCP server function or possibly failing router.)  Another setting on Netgear routers that sometimes causes issues is the enabling of IPv6.  Roku devices currently only need IPv4, so unless you need it (IPv6) for a particular reason, best to leave this disabled when troubleshooting.

The basic things to try would be to check the above mentioned settings (regarding the DHCP server settings and the operating mode (regarding bridge or router)), and actually unplugging the router and modem for a couple of minutes. (This sometimes is enough to allow some caching/memory functions to reset and resolve on its own).

-----

When you have both Roku devices connected to the network, go to Settings/Network/About.

You should be seeing different IP addresses for both, different MAC addresses for both, but the same Gateway address. (this will at least tell you if DHCP is assigning addresses correctly to the devices.)

----

I think the above is a good starting point and can try some different wireless settings, but some verification and confirmation of the above would help to rule out some culprits.

Per @makaiguy question, how many devices do you think you have connecting to the router, especially on the 2.4ghz band.  Can some of these be moved to the 5ghz band?

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos