Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BaronVendredi
Channel Surfer

Power from USB Socket on 13A Ingot 2 Gang Switched Socket

I have Roku Express ( 3900X)

I have been powering it from the supplied Switching Adapter, the printing on which shows it has an output of 5V 1.0A.

It would save me a three pin socket & make life easier if I could power it from one of the USB sockets on my wall socket outlets. They show they are 5V 2.1A. The product data sheet is here: https://d2cq9zndfvtoz7.cloudfront.net/VPSS580WH.pdf

I'm not an expert in electricity so could anyone let me know if this is safe to do please?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Power from USB Socket on 13A Ingot 2 Gang Switched Socket

It's absolutely safe.  You can use any 5V source that can supply at least 1A.  2.1A is even better.  The 2.1A refers to the most that it can supply.  A device will only take what it needs.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
MilesT
Roku Guru

You already have an extension strip with a USB socket, which will be fine, even better if surge protected. 

Otherwise I would recommend one of the USB power supplies that also allows a 13a UK plug to be plugged in, so you aren't wasting a 13a wall socket.  Available from supermarkets or online for about £10, status and masterplug brands.

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos
BaronVendredi
Channel Surfer

That's perfect - just what I needed to know. Thanks & merry Christmas.

0 Kudos
BaronVendredi
Channel Surfer

Thanks for the advice - I think @renojim has given me just what I needed to know.

Merry Christmas!

0 Kudos