Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NC1960
Reel Rookie

[OS 11.5] Ultra's headphone volume control (direct bluetooth connection)

Jump to solution

Hello everyone,

I just bought a new Roku Ultra (4802CA) to try out the new bluetooth feature
(no phone needed) with my hearing aids. The Ultra is on OS 11.5.

I set up the hearing aids via "Settings > Remote & devices > Wireless headphones", and the audio plays correctly on the hearing aids.

However I cannot control the sound level on the hearing aids using the Ultra's remote. The sound level on any volume setting above 1 is at the same constant level.

I think my hearing aids behave just like bluetooth headphones. So are other bluetooth headphone users able to control the volume via the remote when connected directly (no phone)?

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: [OS 11.5] Ultra's headphone volume control (direct bluetooth connection)

Jump to solution

Hi there,

That specific hearing aid doesn't support the command Bluetooth profile. The manufacturer would need to make a change to have this mechanism supported by an external source, like the Roku remote. 

In the meantime, you should be able to use the external controls on the hearing aid itself. We're sorry for the news!

Thanks for letting us know about this experience and we'll continue taking in feedback like yours to improve our products.

Happy Streaming!

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Hi, @NC1960!

Congrats on your new Roku player. We really appreciate you sharing your feedback about using the BT feature with a hearing aid and we want to help get this solved. Would you mind sharing the make/model of device that you're using as a hearing aid and whether this device has external volume controls? We'd be happy to take a look here, our engineering team is very interested in your use case.

Thanks!

Happy Streaming!

0 Kudos
NC1960
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

The hearing aids are the Marvel model made by Phonak. Volume can be adjusted by using buttons on the body of the hearing aids.

I did some testing by connecting a bluetooth adapter to the headphone jack of my AV receiver. The audio plays correctly and I am able to control the volume on
the hearing aids by using the remote for the receiver (receiver's wired speakers
are muted).

From this test it looks like the Ultra's remote does not control the volume of
the bluetooth signal. I will appreciate it very much if you can find a solution
to this issue.

0 Kudos
RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Hi there,

That specific hearing aid doesn't support the command Bluetooth profile. The manufacturer would need to make a change to have this mechanism supported by an external source, like the Roku remote. 

In the meantime, you should be able to use the external controls on the hearing aid itself. We're sorry for the news!

Thanks for letting us know about this experience and we'll continue taking in feedback like yours to improve our products.

Happy Streaming!

0 Kudos
Endo
Reel Rookie

No Hearing Aid audio and 2.0 ROKU Streambar

Jump to solution

I’ve connected 2.0 ROKU Streambar to Samsung Plasma TV, Model NO: PN51D450A2D.  Audio through Streambar’s fine.  I’ve connected TV Connector V2 to TV using Toslink connector which is connected to TV Connector and Optical output of the TV to stream audio to hearing aids (HA’s) . HA’s are Kirkland 10.0 Tcoil Rechargeable.  Audio will not stream to HA’s; although, it continues to be broadcast from Streambar speakers. Have tried analog audio cable with no joy! 

TV Connector’s working - I’ve used it with iPad to stream audio content to Kirkland 10.0 hearing aids using analog audio cable, as a test.  TV Connector also works using same HA’s with Sanyo Smart TV streaming audio optically via Toslink. Thanks for any advice, David

0 Kudos
Endo
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi, not sure if we are on the same page. My query was related to Kirkland KS 10.0 rechargeable hearing aids (HA) not headphones; although, WiFi connection technology may be the same for both. Furthermore, I’m not trying to use ROKU Remote to adjust audio volume of signal received by HA’s). HA’s do work with the Phonak TV Connector V2 on another TV I have which is a ROKU Smart TV using Optical Toslink connector from optical outlet on Smart TV to audio input on TV Connector V2.  

My thoughts are there must be some “audio-disconnect” between ROKU Streambar and the Samsung TV I have.  It’s not a “Smart TV” but does have an optical outlet.  The optical signal is there (red) but I don’t know how to test if audio is present in that signal. HA’s are pairing with TV Connector V2 but TV audio is absent using same Toslink cable described above.

0 Kudos