Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bbleckie
Channel Surfer

No start up screen - blinking blue light - one long blink and one short blink - need help

Jump to solution

Purchased new Roku Express to replace an old model that no longer supports Prime. Not getting start up screen - black screen. Device showing blue light with a long blink then a short blink. Does the same on another tv. Please help

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Bbleckie
Channel Surfer

Re: No start up screen - blinking blue light - one long blink and one short blink - need help

Jump to solution

I assume the long blink followed by a short blink is some kind of error code. I would like to find out before I return it - still hoping it is a simple error on my part rather than faulty equipment 

View solution in original post

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: No start up screen - blinking blue light - one long blink and one short blink - need help

Jump to solution

@Bbleckie 

Try changing the display rate as mentioned above and plug the Express directly into the HDMI port of the suspect TV.

This way can maybe isolate if it the device, TV, or the adapter.  For the most part, the adapters don't work - usually need a converter. (HDMI to RCA converter) (https://www.amazon.com/s?k=hdmi+to+rca+converter+for+old+tv&crid=1DDNYGO626MOD&sprefix=hdmi+to+rca+c...)

However, if plugging directly into the HDMI port resolves issue, then you can always get an HDMI switch that will allow you to add extra HDMI devices to your TV if needed. (Basically you would just switch between devices as needed - an A/B scenario).  

(https://www.amazon.com/s?k=hdmi+switch&crid=10866VV6GD5KB&sprefix=hdmi+switch%2Caps%2C230&ref=nb_sb_...)

Feel free to post back with an update if still having issues or questions.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
24 REPLIES 24
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

If you just purchased it why don’t you return it?

0 Kudos
Bbleckie
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I assume the long blink followed by a short blink is some kind of error code. I would like to find out before I return it - still hoping it is a simple error on my part rather than faulty equipment 

Streamer317
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

It’s not an error code. Exactly which Roku model did you buy? Have you tried another HDMI port? Do you have a plugged into USB TV power or plugged into the wall? Could be a power loss. Your Roku is not giving you a Morse code trouble signal. Try rebooting your motor and router

0 Kudos
Bbleckie
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply!

I have the Roku Express. It’s an older TV and has only 1 HDMI port. Using a wall outlet for power. 

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Which Roku Express model? How old is the TV? Have you rebooted your modem and router? Can you try the Roku in another TV? If you don’t own another TV then bring it over to Friends house and see if it works. Do you have anything else to plug into the HDMI apart such as a DVD player to know that the HDMI port works?

0 Kudos
KerryB1972

Jump to solution

Hi did you get sorted? I’ve had the same issue and have already sent one back but the replacement is doing the same. It gets to searching for connection and stops?

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Bbleckie and @KerryB1972 

If you both have the Roku Express (models Roku Express 3930/3931/SE/LE) and are having issues, try connecting to a mobile hotspot (if available to you) on the 2,4ghz band in order to get through setup.

Otherwise, if you have a cable ISP (internet service provider), like Xfinity/Comcast, Cox, or AT&T, you may find that you have to address a wireless mode setting in your router due to a known issue with their latest firmware revisions.

Basically, you just have to change the wireless mode from g/n to b/g/n and that should hopefully allow you to connect your Roku devices. (This is for all 2.4ghz devices like your Express/Express+). 

Below are the links for the different companies and instructions how to login to your router and make these changes. (Edit 2.4ghz settings).   If you need more help, feel free to post back with an update with your router model number and ISP and can provide more detailed help if needed.

---

Xfinity / Comcast → ( https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/change-wifi-mode-admin-tool-xfinity-xfi ) with a walkthrough ( https://community.roku.com/t5/Network-Wireless-Wired-Connections/Error-014-30-stuck-for-three-days/m...)

Cox → (https://www.cox.com/residential/support/managing-your-in-home-network-with-my-wifi.html)

AT&T → (https://www.att.com/support/article/u-verse-high-speed-internet/KM1046172). You can select your appropriate router from the drop down menu.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Bbleckie
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you for the info!  My Roku model is 3930X.  Checked on line to make sure my modem (AT&T) was set at b/g/n and all looked right. I was able to set up my Roku on another tv which worked. Brought it back to living room tv (15 year old 50” plasma screen Panasonic). Light goes out after Roku boots up - no picture. Hooked it up to a third TV and it works fine. Now can’t figure out how to make it work on the big one. My old Roku worked fine on it

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Bbleckie  So it’s not a Roku issue since it works on other TV’s. It’s something to do with your older plasma TV. Plasma TV’s are way outdated and most don’t support the higher resolutions that newer Roku’s have. Does your plasma TV support 1080 or just 720? Does it have more than 1 HDMI port? If so did you try the other ports. You will always run into compatibility issues when you are trying to use a new device with an old device. Are your other TVs LED and newer? 

0 Kudos