Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smammy
Channel Surfer

No signal with an older non-HDCP2 TV (Express 4K+)

I bought a Roku Express 4K+ (SKU# 3941R) to use with an older TV, a Samsung LN32A300J1D. I know I'm not going to get 4K video out of a 720p TV, but the problem is that I don't get any signal at all: no video, no audio, not during boot or on the menus. The TV displays "No Signal", which is what it says when something is plugged in but turned off or not sending a sign

The TV works fine when I connect an old Roku 3 to it.

The Roku Express 4K+ works perfectly with my newer TCL TV.

I tried both HDMI ports, swapping out the HDMI cable, pressing buttons on the remote, resetting the Roku, no love. I'm using the USB power adapter that came with the Express 4K+.

After I discovered that the Express 4K+ worked on my newer TCV, I tried configuring it for 720p output, turning off various advanced HDMI/HDCP features (the specifics escape me at the moment) and then reconnecting it to the old TV. That didn't work either.

So, what gives? The hardware requirements say "Roku Express 4K+ will work with any television with an HDMI connection." This TV does indeed have an HDMI connection. It even has some primitive HDCP support. (No version number given; I assume it's 1.1 or so.)

I hope I can get this working, because I stupidly let the 30-day return window expire before I even took it out of the box. Thanks for any suggestions!
-sam

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: No signal with an older non-HDCP2 TV (Express 4K+)

@smammy

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide the serial number/device ID on your Roku device ? I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
smammy
Channel Surfer

Thanks, Danny. Here's what it says on the device:

SN: S07P21A2K5R5
Model: 3941X

0 Kudos
smammy
Channel Surfer

Any thoughts, @RokuDanny-R?

@smammy wrote:

Thanks, Danny. Here's what it says on the device:

SN: S07P21A2K5R5
Model: 3941X

0 Kudos
spkahn

I have same problem - 4k Roku not connecting to 1.1 HDCP Vizio. Please help.  Thanks

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@spkahn

Thanks for the post.

How are you connecting your Roku device to your TV?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
smammy
Channel Surfer

@RokuDanny-R: not sure what the next step is for me, but I can tell you about how mine is connected as well.

• TV is attached to AC power.
  • Roku is attached to AC power with to bundled AC adapter.
  • Roku is attached directly to TV with bundled HDMI cable.

That's it.

I've tried swapping out the power cable, the AC adapter, and the HDMI cable. I've also tried both HDMI ports on the TV.

Thanks for any advice!
-sam

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@smammy

What Roku model device are you using?

For more information about HDCP 2.2, visit our Support page here: Importance of HDCP 2.2 to 4K & HDR

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
smammy
Channel Surfer

I'm not sure why you need this information again since I already gave it to you above, but here goes:

It's a Roku Express 4K+, Model 3941X, serial number S07P21A2K5R5.

At this point it seems like Roku is saying that their products are compatible with non-HDCP2 TVs but they really aren't. Is that right? Can you explain what's going on here? Anyway, I'd like to return this Roku as it's just sitting here not doing anything for me.

Cheers,
-sam

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@smammy

Thanks for the follow up.

I have passed along your information to our Support team. They will follow up and assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos