Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jendugah
Reel Rookie

New wifi, no remote, can't use app remote help please

I have a roku, but no remote.  It's never been connected to my wifi, so it's not letting use the app to connect to wifi.  Are we just out of luck?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: New wifi, no remote, can't use app remote help please

@Jendugah 

If the Roku device is new, or has been Factory Reset, then you need a remote to set the device up.  If the Roku device is a Streaming Stick, will need a Roku Remote (ie. Roku Voice Remote).  If any other Roku device, then an inexpensive IR universal streaming remote (compatible with Roku) can be used to setup and use with your Roku.

You are correct... the Roku has to have been successfully setup on a network before you can use the mobile Remote app.

If you have previously had it connected to another network and you know the other network credentials (SSID network name and password), then there are a couple of different methods to connect to the new network without a physical remote.

Recent thread from earlier today (https://community.roku.com/t5/Network-Wireless-Wired-Connections/Sooo-Frusterated-Roku-model-3930X-n...).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Jendugah
Reel Rookie

Re: New wifi, no remote, can't use app remote help please

Thank you. You just saved us a lot of wasted time. Appreciated Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos