Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ac2406
Reel Rookie

New Express 4K not compatible with t.v.?

Just purchased the Express 4k after receiving notice from ROKU that if I wanted streaming to continue I needed this new device.  Well neither I nor my techie friends could get it to work.  We even purchased a new HDMI gizmo to convert signals .  Anyway I need to know if the Express device will work with my t.v. It's a 1983 RCA ColorTrak 2000.  My techie friends say it won't.  If the Roku that's attached now works, why not the new one?  

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: New Express 4K not compatible with t.v.?

@ac2406 

Likely you have one of the older 27xx Roku devices which are scheduled to no longer receiver updates and support.  The device itself will continue to work on your TV, but simply not be available to future Roku OS updates and channel/app updates.  Depending on what you watch, this may or may not even affect you for a while.

However, if you really like this TV, and want to use your new Roku Express 4k, all you need is a HDMI to AV "converter" (not adapter, but a converter).

From the specs of this TV, can use either AV or S-Video connection for the video signal, so here is a link to an example converter from amazon here. (HDMI to AV and S-Video Converter)

Here is the Amazon link to the general page of others available. (HDMI to AV converters)

----

Basically, you are looking for HDMI to AV converter, or HDMI to RCA converters.  This will allow you to use the yellow, red, and white cables again.  Just have to make sure you are purchasing the proper one. (HDMI to AV or HDMI to RCA, not AV to HDMI or RCA to HDMI).  Just verify the direction and make sure it is converter, not simply an adapter.  Normally, $15 to $20 should get you going again.

----

Post back the "converter" model number and info you purchased and maybe can see why it didn't work.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

LizD
Reel Rookie

I don't know.

0 Kudos
remaker
Roku Guru

It should work. It sounds like an issue with the converter.

If possible, set it up on another modern TV and lock the video display to 720p. The converter should be happy with that, but may not like a 1080p or 4K signal.

0 Kudos
remaker
Roku Guru

Also, converters are not bidirectional. You need HDMI to RCA/AV, NOT RCA/AV to HDMI.

And most converters need an external power source. Do you have that? They typically use a USB cable to provide power. Connect that USB cable to any USB power brick. Or PC port. It just needs a little power.

0 Kudos
LizD
Reel Rookie

You need the regular Roku Express according to when I went to buy the HDMI to AV converter at Amazon.  The converter does not support Roku Express 4K.  So I bought the Roku Express and the HDMI to AV converter, however I have not even hooked it up yet as I was worried if it didn't work, I'd get all stressed out and I've been watching movies online for now.  According to the reviews at Amazon, if they are true, this combination worked for other buyers of the HDMI to AV converter.  I hope you find what works for you.  You also need to make sure that you have an adapter for the HDMI to AV converter.  Some on Amazon sell the converter with the power adapter and some don't.  Here is the link to one that does sell with the power adapter. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08THJZ7D8?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details  

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@LizD 

That HDMI to RCA converter link you provided should work with the Roku Express 4k/4k+ as well as the Roku Express. 

The Roku Express 4k/4k+ simply allow you to receive video resolutions "up to and including 4k".  Of course, if you are using this converter, then your TV does not support 4k resolution, but you still can benefit from some of the newer features of the Express 4k/4k+ and take advantage of the remote control features of the Roku Express 4k+.

Nothing wrong, per se, with the Roku Express, but just wanted to point out that the other available Roku devices should work with this converter if you wanted to purchase the newer models. 

LizD
Reel Rookie

Thank you very much AvsGunnar for that information.  I wanted so much to get the New Express 4K+ but the sellers of the HDMI to AV insisted that it would not work for that Roku model and I just didn't understand what they meant, that it wouldn't support it as they put it.  I got so confused.  I'm old, lol!  Yes my tv is very old, but works great.  You made it easier to understand.  I do have a question though, would it make the picture on my tv smaller or up in one corner?  Some people were saying this was happening to them.  Thank you!

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@LizD 

Some of these converters do behave a little differently and have different results depending on their compatibility with both the device (ie. Roku) and the TV it is connected to.  Some may stretch the image more than others, make it taller, etc.

The only real way to see the result is to just attach the converter and the device to the TV and see what the final result is.  If the resulting video output is unsatisfactory, then can try another adapter.

The Bleiden HDMI to AV converter is often recommended (https://www.amazon.com/Composite-Converter-Express-Premiere-Streaming/dp/B00ZQ38HRO) for those with the Roku Ultra who had trouble with other converters.  Since the Ultra and Premiere/Premiere+ (3920/3921) are capable of 4k output, this converter reportedly worked for them when others didn't.

----

As with any of these electronic gizmos/converters/adapters/switches, the resulting capability, compatibility, and quality differ.  Sometimes have to try a few different ones to see what works.  As for your question as to the final picture, no real way to know final output other than plugging it in and finding out, unfortunately.  There certainly will be some distortion of the picture (nature of the conversion).  However, if it so distorted that it is unwatchable, then either a different HDMI converter or Roku device (perhaps the Express HD models) can be tried.

From this forum though, many have reported back that the Roku Express 4k/4k+ worked just fine with various HDMI converters.  Really just depends on the combination of the device, the converter, and the TV and how nicely they all get along with each other.  

LizD
Reel Rookie

Thank you so very much AvsGunner for your help.  I appreciate you taking the time to reply.  🙂