Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fukimo

Need advice on Using a non-HDMI display

I have an HP external display (model E231) which offers DisplayPort, DVI, or VGA inputs. Should I be able to use this with a Roku via an adapter, into one of of those ports? (I know there won't be audio, and that's fine.)

Right now I can't get the display to see a video signal through the DVI port (using a variety of HDMI cables and HDMI-to-DVU adapters), though a cheap HDMI-to-VGA(!!) adapter sends a signal there just fine.

Would an HDMI-to-Display Port adapter get me a better picture, or is VGA the best I am going to get?

Thanks for any advice!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Need advice on Using a non-HDMI display

@fukimo 

Some of the issue you are having is due to HDCP (a copy-protection scheme) in HDMI devices and connections.  These will be present in HDMI, DVI, and DisplayPort connections and not present in VGA which is why your simple adapter is working.

You will likely need a HDMI to DisplayPort (or HDMI to DVI) "converter", not merely an adapter.  I would select DisplayPort as this should allow you to pass audio as well.  

Some of these HDMI to DisplayPort converters come with a seperate/integrated USB cable that is used for power (connect to a cell phone charging adapter), which you may or may not need to use. (many of the different video converters need the extra power supply to work properly with the Roku device).

This one on Amazon states compatible with Roku and HDCP compliant in its description/specs. (this one is both an adapter and converter). https://www.amazon.com/Active-DisplayPort-Adapter-Converter-Gold-Plated/dp/B0752D33PJ/ref=sr_1_5?key...

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102