Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cromanof
Channel Surfer

Need Confirmation of Roku Devices to Purchase

Jump to solution
I'm totally electronically ignorant so I would really appreciate assistance. I have three different TVs (older, not Smart TV's, but all flat-screen high definition) that I want to have hooked up to a Roku device to be able to watch Court TV. I do not have any devices that require Wi-Fi and don't have it. All three TVs are connected to satellite TV (DirecTv) and each TV (and desk-top computer) is completely and independently hooked up to the internet with hard-wired ethernet cable. So, before buying the wrong ones on-line (can't drive), since all the TVs have internet via ethernet cable, would the Roku device I should buy be the Roku Ultra? Thanks!
Cindie R.
Electronically Challenged

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Need Confirmation of Roku Devices to Purchase

Jump to solution

@cromanof 

The easiest would be to buy the Ultra devices.  

Although the Express4k/4k+ can be used with Ethernet, you need to purchase a separate Ethernet adapter ($10 or so).  This is probably more cost effective, but the Ultra devices may be simpler for you.

For anyone getting into streaming, a little tech knowledge is going to come in handy.  Going to be a little different experience from cable/satellite.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

MilesT
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

The streambar is also good if a bit pricey, but also needs an external Ethernet dongle.

If you watch other shows (not just streaming via Roku) the streambar can also act as a soundbar for other TV watching to  improve sound quality (also acts a Bluetooth speaker for sound from music on phone etc). You will need to check if your TVs support optical sound connector to make this work.  The optical cable is included in the box.

Just check your TVs have a spare HDMI port to attach the Roku.  

Not a Roku employee

HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@cromanof wrote:
I'm totally electronically ignorant so I would really appreciate assistance. I have three different TVs (older, not Smart TV's, but all flat-screen high definition) that I want to have hooked up to a Roku device to be able to watch Court TV. I do not have any devices that require Wi-Fi and don't have it. All three TVs are connected to satellite TV (DirecTv) and each TV (and desk-top computer) is completely and independently hooked up to the internet with hard-wired ethernet cable. So, before buying the wrong ones on-line (can't drive), since all the TVs have internet via ethernet cable, would the Roku device I should buy be the Roku Ultra? Thanks!

You say that each TV is hooked up to the internet with a hard-wired ethernet cable.  That sounds like the TVs are smart TVs.   Just make sure that you have ethernet cable to each TV and not a cable for DirecTV or something.  If you have ethernet to the TV the simplest solution is a Roku Ultra in my opinion.

3 REPLIES 3
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@cromanof 

The easiest would be to buy the Ultra devices.  

Although the Express4k/4k+ can be used with Ethernet, you need to purchase a separate Ethernet adapter ($10 or so).  This is probably more cost effective, but the Ultra devices may be simpler for you.

For anyone getting into streaming, a little tech knowledge is going to come in handy.  Going to be a little different experience from cable/satellite.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

MilesT
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

The streambar is also good if a bit pricey, but also needs an external Ethernet dongle.

If you watch other shows (not just streaming via Roku) the streambar can also act as a soundbar for other TV watching to  improve sound quality (also acts a Bluetooth speaker for sound from music on phone etc). You will need to check if your TVs support optical sound connector to make this work.  The optical cable is included in the box.

Just check your TVs have a spare HDMI port to attach the Roku.  

Not a Roku employee
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@cromanof wrote:

You say that each TV is hooked up to the internet with a hard-wired ethernet cable.  That sounds like the TVs are smart TVs.   Just make sure that you have ethernet cable to each TV and not a cable for DirecTV or something.  If you have ethernet to the TV the simplest solution is a Roku Ultra in my opinion.