Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jagman
Channel Surfer

My COX CABLE IS DOWN and no possible repair until next week, But I have a PC & Windows 10

My DELL LAPTOP is working with Windows 10 Home, latest version, and my DELL is a current model and has a HDMI connector.

CAN I USE my DELL PC [HDMI] to WATCH TV via ROKU UNTIL NEXT WEEK?

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: My COX CABLE IS DOWN and no possible repair until next week, But I have a PC & Windows 10

@jagman 

With an internet connection and PC/laptop you can watch just about anything online and then use an HDMI cable to stream that content to your Television via an HDMI cable.

With a Roku streaming device, basically that same content is installed via a Channel or app on the Roku device and streams directly to the Television via an HDMI cable.  The Roku device essentially replaces the computer (it is a mini-computer dedicated to streaming apps).

You cannot use a laptop "in place" of the Roku device re: the Roku environment/platform.  Roku Channels/apps cannot be installed on a computer. 

You can certainly watch some of the same content available to Roku users like the Roku Channel https://therokuchannel.roku.com/  and Tubi https://tubitv.com/ and a myriad of other free online streaming channels via your laptop's HDMI cord.  Of course, this can also be done for the paid subscription services like Netflix and all those also.

With your cable down, maybe a good time to check out if a streaming device like Roku plugged directly into your TV's HDMI's port is a good option for you.  May find like most of us you won't miss cable and the expensive bills.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: My COX CABLE IS DOWN and no possible repair until next week, But I have a PC & Windows 10

@jagman wrote:

My DELL LAPTOP is working with Windows 10 Home, latest version, and my DELL is a current model and has a HDMI connector.

CAN I USE my DELL PC [HDMI] to WATCH TV via ROKU UNTIL NEXT WEEK?

Thanks

No, you wouldnt be able to connect a Roku to the HDMI port on your Dell laptop (its an output port), unless its a "unicorn" HDMI input port (doesnt exist).

However, if you had an PC monitor with an (spare?) HDMI port you could connect a Roku to that.

0 Kudos
jagman
Channel Surfer

THANKS..... [sorry but I am 84 and bed ridden with limited mobility]   My "COX" is out for sure as my Wifeless is OUT to. But my TV is acting weird and I cant get a Repairman to look at it.

Tomorrow a friend [we are both long time "Computer Guys" but were in Management] is coming over to see what we can work out an check my TV if still OK. I now am watching movies I have on disk, on my Laptop.

To clarify:  since my LAPTOP has a HDMI port. I thought, in case my TV went with the "COX" box,  will my ROKU communicate, worse case, to my DELL LAPTOP via the HDMI? My ROKU has a HDMI on it doesn't it . My router is still up so I get WIFI. I.E.  ROUTER... ROKU.... [VIA HDMI cable....LAPTOP [or TV if working]. T H A N K S.

I assume, the ROKU, will pickup its content from my WIFI [for the signal], direct content via HDMI to my Laptop [acting as a TV/MONITOR].

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@jagman wrote:

THANKS..... [sorry but I am 84 and bed ridden with limited mobility]   My "COX" is out for sure as my Wifeless is OUT to. But my TV is acting weird and I cant get a Repairman to look at it.

Tomorrow a friend [we are both long time "Computer Guys" but were in Management] is coming over to see what we can work out an check my TV if still OK. I now am watching movies I have on disk, on my Laptop.

To clarify:  since my LAPTOP has a HDMI port. I thought, in case my TV went with the "COX" box,  will my ROKU communicate, worse case, to my DELL LAPTOP via the HDMI? My ROKU has a HDMI on it doesn't it . My router is still up so I get WIFI. I.E.  ROUTER... ROKU.... [VIA HDMI cable....LAPTOP [or TV if working]. T H A N K S.

I assume, the ROKU, will pickup its content from my WIFI [for the signal], direct content via HDMI to my Laptop [acting as a TV/MONITOR].

See my previous response.

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

You say: " my Wifeless is OUT to" and " My router is still up so I get WIFI" so this is confusing.  If you still have an internet connection, you should still be able to get stuff on your laptop.  Examples: https://therokuchannel.roku.com/ and https://www.netflix.com/

On the other hand, if you just have Wi-Fi from your router with no internet connection, then you won't be getting anything from outside the home that way.

It's not clear what's wrong with your TV, but if you can hook an antenna of some sort (I think most TVs still come with a little indoor antenna) then you should be able to pick up some over-the-air stuff.

0 Kudos
jagman
Channel Surfer

Sorry about that... A friend said he "had heard, some SMART TV's 'do their own thing' IF it gets a signal", like trying to search for it, etc.  The Samsung TV refuses to "turnoff" and when I try to turn off with the hand controller, it pops back on looking for a signal. Then the only fix is to UNPLUG it.

I suspect it is just COX service that is my problem. I suspect the ROKU would work fine but I avoid using the ROKU . I have ALWAYS had issues with my SMART TV and ROKU as a TV provider. The ROKU trys to 'take over' my TV. With the SMART TV and ROKU, ROKU does not like for me to watch COX TV and 'insists' it should be 'in charge' all the time. There is no OFF button I can find on the ROKU ULTRA and I get frustrated to trying to get the ROKU to "go away' when trying to watch regular TV with COX. The only solution is to remove ROKU's batteries. ,

But ROKU is fast, but not easy to use because it is "too smart" and does not play well with others. The "controls like 'subtitles'? etc is a real 'pain'. It is the worse "customizer" I have ever used.

But is far Superior watching premium channels on any other providers. But sometimes, one wants to watch the news or  sports on TV. I would use ROKU a lot more if it 'played' nicer with others. So I end up with a MASS of wires, and a box of "Controllers" with every thinking it knows what is best for me and what I want to watch.

But eventually, it may come back to normal if one waits long enough. THANKS

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

It sounds like you don't like the effects of HDMI-CEC (I don't either but some people do.)  The funny thing about HDMI-CEC is that many companies have their own names for it.  In your Samsung TV, it is called Anynet+, so try turning that off.  You can also turn off Roku's use of it at settings->system->control other devices->1 touch play.

0 Kudos