Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
taylorfreeman
Channel Surfer

Moved to a new apartment & Roku completely stopped working

So I moved & finally set up my TV and plugged in my Roku that was working perfectly fine before & now it doesn’t work at all. No damage was done in the meantime. When I turn my TV on (don’t have my original TV remote so this is all I have, the roku remote) and used the remote, the lights on the Roku box come on and are in sync with the buttons I press on the Roku remote. I have tried to enter my IP address on the app, it doesn’t accept it. I have tried to reset the remote via Google, was not successful. I replaced the batteries, didn’t work. I’ve downloaded the app and tried to connect the roku there, but the roku doesn’t even show up on the app. It says if it’s not working whatsoever, but the lights are still working when I hit the remote buttons. I’ve obviously tried the basics and reset my Internet my router, the Roku itself, unplugged it, switched the outlets, etc. I have done everything I can think of. Is there anyway I can fix this? It’s just so odd this randomly happened, I’ve moved before and never had an issue. I have the basic model.

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Re: Moved to a new apartment & Roku completely stopped working

You didn’t mention anything about your internet. Did you take your your router and modem with you? Are you still using the same equipment or did you get new equipment? Are you still in the same town? All you had to do was hook everything up. Turn on your TV and connected the Roku to your new WiFi. My son moved 50 miles from home. He took his Roku and TV with him. When he set up his new Wi-Fi at his apartment he simply logged into his new WiFi at his apartment. Presto. Everything works. You cannot use the Roku Remote Control app on your phone unless your Roku device is on the Wi-Fi. which apparently it is not. So you have Roku Express? Can you elaborate on exactly which model it is? How old is it? You do realize you can buy a brand new Roku for $40. Did your ISP turn off your old address and turn on your new? Have you set up your new Internet and do other devices connect to it? 

0 Kudos
taylorfreeman
Channel Surfer

I did switch Internet providers so I got a new modem and a new router, but I am not able to connect it on the TV because it does not work/turn on. I don’t have my original TV remote, but I never needed that in the past & it worked. When I turn on my TV and use the remote, the light comes on roku thing but nothing happens on the TV screen. So I don’t know how to get to the Wi-Fi setting. On the app there is no option for Wi-Fi and when I try to manually connect my IP address it doesn’t connect  it 

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Can I please get the full story. So your Roku is working from what you can tell but the screen is blank? And you don’t have the TV remote? Just the Roku remote? You do know you don’t need a remote control a TV. You can press the buttons on the TV itself. Most TV’s still have a physical button on them. Please elaborate on the entire situation. Sounds to me like you need to switch the inputs on your TV. If you don’t have the original remote you can go buy a universal remote that will work. You could always bring the Roku to a friend or families place and plug it into their TV and see what happens. That’s the easiest thing to do. Better yet just buy a new Roku they’re very cheap

0 Kudos
taylorfreeman
Channel Surfer

my TV works perfectly fine, my dog chewed up the original remote and I have tried to do a universal in the past and was not successful. So I bought a Roku, basic one, and strictly can only use the Roku with the remote or the app because you can use a remote on the app. I have tried switching the input cables and getting new batteries, that was not successful. When I turn on the TV all I see is a logo bouncing around saying it’s not connected to anything via the TV itself saying that. When I press the buttons on my Roku remote , the actual legit remote, nothing happens except the lights turn on the actual Roku device. So it seems to be working, but for some reason it’s not connecting or working. The app is able to act as a remote if you were to lose your Roku remote, but even on the app the device does not show up.  But yet the lights are still blinking on the Roku device telling me that it’s still working. I’ve tried unplugging everything and moving it around as much as I can and nothing works. The only buttons my TV has our channel and volume. I also just tried logging into my account now and the device is listed on there but that’s it, I’m not able to control anything else. I guess I could buy a new one but it’s just really weird that it randomly stopped working and I feel like it should be an easy fix if there was a tech support team or some thing but I’m not able to find anything

0 Kudos
taylorfreeman
Channel Surfer

as far as switching the actual channel itself, I don’t have any buttons on my TV and I don’t have a remote so they’ve never been switched before, usually it just works

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

I am fully aware of the Roku remote control app and I know what it does. It’s a remote control app for your smart phone but it will not work until your Roku is connected to your Wi-Fi. Instead of dragging this out why don’t you just bring the Roku to a friends house or a family‘s house and plug it in. See what happens. Or if you have another TV plugging into that one. It’s kind of basic troubleshooting. If you suspect the Roku is bad plugging into another TV. If the same thing happens then the Roku is bad and you need to buy a new one. It’s that easy. The first step I would’ve taken would to be try on another TV you haven’t mentioned what model it is. You keep saying it’s the basic one. That’s to me is telling me it’s probably the Roku express. That’s only $29. Is it worth all this over $29? You could’ve gone to Walmart, target, or Best Buy bought a new one in less time than I took you to post on here.

TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

@taylorfreeman  Any updates?

0 Kudos
taylorfreeman
Channel Surfer

No updates, my boyfriend brought his apple tv over and plugged it in & it didn’t work either so now i’m guessing it’s my tv. I had some helpers help me move and one of them left it in a really sketchy spot & it got knocked down but there was no damage externally & still turns on so I thought it would be fine but neither the apple or roku work so 😩

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

So it has nothing to do with Roku. Your TV is broken. Thanks for the update. If your going to purchase a new TV I highly suggest getting a Roku TV by TCL. I have 2 of them. You can triple verify what I previously stated by plugging your Roku device into your boyfriends TV.  It should work just fine. 

0 Kudos