Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
R983

Issue trying to setup - remote won't work?

Hello!

I am attempting to set up my Roku for the first time. When I plugged it in and turned it on, it took me to a screen to enter my wifi password. I clicked the remote cursor to the left; it moved twice, and then froze. It would not move any direction, nor did the OK, back, or any other buttons work. I unplugged the device and plugged it back in again; this time, it starts on the language select page, and I can't move the remote anywhere. I've put new batteries in the remote, I've stood in various locations (including 1 inch from the Roku device), but nothing makes any difference. Did my remote die? Is there some other issue? I'll be very frustrated if the remote only lasted me two clicks.

Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Issue trying to setup - remote won't work?

What model Roku device do you have? It matters as it will tell us if you have an IR remote or a WiFi Direct remote. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
R983

Roku Express

0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

@R983 wrote:

Roku Express

There should be a model number on the bottom of the unit itself.  ~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
atc98092

@R983 There are multiple versions of the Express. If it's NOT a 4K device (Express 4K/4k+), then the remote is IR, and can be easily tested if you have a phone with a camera (or some other digital camera). Start the camera, look at the front of the remote though the camera, and press different buttons on the remote. If it's working you'll see a little flash of light every time you press a button. No flash, the remote isn't working. Look at your batteries and ensure you've inserted them in the proper orientation. Some Roku remotes have the batteries both facing the same way, while others have the batteries facing opposite directions.

If you have a Express 4K+ player, then you have a WiFi Direct remote. The Express 4K comes with an IR remote, but you can use a WiFi remote on them as well. The WiFi remote must be paired to the Roku before they will work. Under the battery cover there will be a button. If there's no button, then it's an IR remote. If there is a button, you can press it, which should activate the pairing with the Roku.

Dan

Michelle3
Roku Guru

My Roku 3910 originally came with the standard infrared-light Simple Remote when I got it.  However, a week ago, I bought a WiFi-Direct Voice Remote (RCAL7) from a local Walmart retail store, to replace the original remote with. ~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
R983

It is HD, not 4K. I tried the camera thing, and I do not see any flashing light when pressing buttons on the remote. I double checked the batteries, and they are inserted correctly.

0 Kudos
R983

3930X

0 Kudos
atc98092

Thanks for all that. It sounds like the remote is dead. Unfortunately, it can happen even with brand new items. Roku offers a one year warranty in the US, so they will certainly replace the remote. Depending on where you bought it, you might instead return it and get a replacement. You could also get an inexpensive (less than $10) universal IR remote that supports Roku players and use that. Our local store that sells a bit of everything (Fred Meyer, here in the Pacific NW) sells several universal remotes under $10, and that might be the fastest way to get things going. 

Dan

WasimDigit
Channel Surfer

There are certain measures that you should take into account before declaring a remote dead. 

First of all, identify the type of your Roku remote whether it is an IR remote Enhanced or a Point Everywhere remote. Once you have identified it, then take possible action to make it work (I will attach the link for details about the Roku remote).

Consider the below points that might help you sort out your issue. 

Replace the batteries (which you have already done, so ignore it)

Check HDMI Connection

Un Pair and Re-Pair your Remote

Restart your Roku device

Reset your Roku device (if the device is new, no need)

Reset your Roku remote

I would suggest you opt for Resetting Roku remote, Standard IR remote and point everywhere remote has different methods for resetting. 

https://digitforpc.com/how-to-reset-roku-remote/

0 Kudos