Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
XkarenX
Channel Surfer

I want to hook up a Roku stick in the bedroom, can I?

My Roku is used on my living room TV where I have the WIFI modem.  At night I like to lay in bed and watch TV in the bedroom but I only have the digital antenna in there.   Please, can you tell me like I am a 2yr old just what I have to do to have Roku in the bedroom?   Somebody please!!

Thanks, Karen 🙂

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: I want to hook up a Roku stick in the bedroom, can I?

You could try it out by just taking it from the current TV and moving it to the other TV.  It likely won’t even know it has been moved unless the TVs are quite different (like 4K vs HD maybe).  Of course, then you need to move it back each day and that would get old.

Or, for a longer-term answer, you just get a second Roku and connect it like the first one.  In most cases, you will want to add the new one to the same account so both TVs have all the same apps available.

CelticsFan
Roku Guru

@XkarenX  Buy a Roku for your bedroom TV.  Better of getting a Roku Stick 4K since it has a longer range. Doesn't get any easier then that. 

0 Kudos
XkarenX
Channel Surfer

Do I just plug the stick in the back of the TV than plug it in?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@XkarenX wrote:

Do I just plug the stick in the back of the TV than plug it in?

Yes, the Stick plugs directly into the HDMI port on the TV, no cable required. Just be aware that devices can get rather warm when connected like that, so sometimes it's better to use a player with a cable, such as the Express 4K+. This also gives you some leeway to move the player around if your WiFi is weaker in the bedroom, so you can find a place with a stronger signal. 

Most new Roku players now come with a power cord that can connect directly to a USB port, rather than plugging into the wall. I don't recommend doing this for several reasons. First, not all TVs have enough power in their USB ports, so the Roku has power warning messages. Next, most TVs power the USB port off when the TV is turned off. While this saves a miniscule amount of power, it's really better to keep the Roku powered at all times. You don't have to wait for it to boot, as it's ready to go at all times. It will update itself overnight. And consumer electronics like this can sometimes develop faults if they're always powered on and off. Better to spend the few pennies each month and let it remain powered on.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
CelticsFan
Roku Guru

0 Kudos