Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
urodovic
Reel Rookie

I have 4 Roku devices but cannot link a 5th device to my account

Jump to solution

I have 4 Roku devices for many years but cannot link a 5th device to my account. I can log to my account and I can see all the  4 devices. Yesterday I installed a Streaming stick in my JVC TV and after initial setup they ask for an email to create an account or if I have already an account to provide the email for that account. I provided the email for the account and they say to check my email (including spam folder) which I did but no activation code was sent to the email.

I waited 30 minutes for an email that never showed up so I reset the Roku Stick to factory setting and started the setup again. I typed my email exactly and no activation number sent. I tried again 2 more times and nothing was sent. 

Finally I reset device again and this time I provided a new email and in 3 second the activation code was sent to this new email and I was able to start streaming. So now I have two Roku accounts which I don't want.

I want all my devices in one account under my first ever email account which I have used for many years. I figured the system does not recognize the email in which I already have 4 devices. But did promptly send activation code to the other new email.

I tried to change the email in the new Roku Stick to the one that I have always used but the System says there is already an account associated with that email 🙄 !!

Sooo, am I stuck (unwillingly) to have two Roku accounts? One with 4 devices and one with one device 😕?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: I have 4 Roku devices but cannot link a 5th device to my account

Jump to solution

@urodovic

Thanks for the posts.

If you were able to link the device to another email, then there shouldn't be an issue linking the device to your current existing Roku account with your other Roku devices.

We would recommend trying to perform a factory reset on this specific device and trying to setup and link the device to your Roku account. When waiting for activation email, did you try searching for "activate" or "activation" in your email to see if the email got placed in a spam or junk folder?

Please keep us posted what you find out and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
urodovic
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi RokuDanny-R

I did exactly that yesterday and I did it today. Despite resetting Roku Streaming Stick device to factory settings and again using my Roku account (hotmail) I still did not received an email to active and link my new 5th device to my account using hotmail. I looked all folders including spam again and there was no Roku Activate email. (The other device I was able to link using a gmail).

So I tried a different approach. I deleted the Roku account with only one device and its associated Roku Stick. (gmail). Then I reset my Roku Stick to factory Setting as in starting all from scratch

I went to my Roku account with the 4 devices (the one with the hotmail email) and in the account settings tab I changed my hotmail email to the gmail email, so after doing that I now have the 4 devices BUT now with gmail.

Finally I Started the setup process again with the just Factory reset Roku stick and when it asked for my account instead of using the old email @ (hotmail) I used the email @Gmail. I got an Activate email instantly!!

So I pressed the activate button and got the Roku Streaming Stick working.

When I signed to the Roku account using gmail instead of hotmail all 5 devices where there!

Thank you all for the tip and generosity to help with this problem. For some reason Roku will not send any activation email to my hotmail but it worked fast with gmail. I have no idea why but my problem is resolved!

Now back to Streaming all my Roku devices 😁

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

I have ten devices linked to my account, so you're not hitting any device limit. I can't explain why you didn't get the authentication link. The first thing to check is your spam or junk mail folder, but you already did that. Perhaps it's something @RokuDanny-R can assist with. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@urodovic   When you login to the account with the 4 devices, are they the only four devices linked to that account?  Something strange going on here.  I have six devices linked to one account.  I was playing around with an older Roku streaming stick this morning and added it to my account.  You should not get an activation code just an email that allows to click and activate your device.

DBDukes

Jump to solution

@urodovic wrote:

... I can log to my account and I can see all the  4 devices. ...

Not trying to nitpick, but I want to verify what is implied, but not explicitly stated.

You said you see all the four devices. Do you see ONLY those four devices when you scroll to the bottom of https://my.roku.com/?

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
urodovic
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I can see my four devices in the account I have for years. And yes last night when in frustration I put another of my emails (not the one of my account) I was sent an email by Roku immediately where there was a link with an "Activate Device" button which would expire in 30 minutes. I click it and got the activation code...and the Roku Stick was activated... but with the caveat that now I have two accounts one with 4 devices with one email and one with the Roku Stick for the other (new) email

0 Kudos
urodovic
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

In the account I have had for ages it shows all the four devices but of course the new one will not show as it is linked to another email. I just one the 5 devices in the same old account nice and tidy

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@urodovic

Thanks for the posts.

If you were able to link the device to another email, then there shouldn't be an issue linking the device to your current existing Roku account with your other Roku devices.

We would recommend trying to perform a factory reset on this specific device and trying to setup and link the device to your Roku account. When waiting for activation email, did you try searching for "activate" or "activation" in your email to see if the email got placed in a spam or junk folder?

Please keep us posted what you find out and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
urodovic
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi RokuDanny-R

I did exactly that yesterday and I did it today. Despite resetting Roku Streaming Stick device to factory settings and again using my Roku account (hotmail) I still did not received an email to active and link my new 5th device to my account using hotmail. I looked all folders including spam again and there was no Roku Activate email. (The other device I was able to link using a gmail).

So I tried a different approach. I deleted the Roku account with only one device and its associated Roku Stick. (gmail). Then I reset my Roku Stick to factory Setting as in starting all from scratch

I went to my Roku account with the 4 devices (the one with the hotmail email) and in the account settings tab I changed my hotmail email to the gmail email, so after doing that I now have the 4 devices BUT now with gmail.

Finally I Started the setup process again with the just Factory reset Roku stick and when it asked for my account instead of using the old email @ (hotmail) I used the email @Gmail. I got an Activate email instantly!!

So I pressed the activate button and got the Roku Streaming Stick working.

When I signed to the Roku account using gmail instead of hotmail all 5 devices where there!

Thank you all for the tip and generosity to help with this problem. For some reason Roku will not send any activation email to my hotmail but it worked fast with gmail. I have no idea why but my problem is resolved!

Now back to Streaming all my Roku devices 😁

atc98092

Jump to solution

I hate to point fingers, but it appears that Hotmail was blocking the incoming email and not even sending it to your inbox, even if only into the spam folder. I have no idea if there's any setting within your Hotmail account (I only have experience with Gmail and our corporate email server) but it's possible it's configurable somewhere. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@urodovic--

I applaud your finding and reporting your creative solution to your registration problem.

My guess: it was not that Roku wasn't sending the email to your Yahoo account, but that Yahoo was rejecting it and not delivering it to you.

I help administer an organization's website and bulletin board and we have to fight this all the time.  People sign up to receive email, but when they tire of it some people report it as spam instead of unsubscribing, and some servers block our mails as a result.  We've had to go through this with Yahoo more than once.  Usually these blocks only last a week or so then the mail starts going through again, but it's an ongoing battle. 

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos