Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ropy
Reel Rookie

How to set up Roku 2 from factory settings without a remote

Jump to solution

Hi.

I have a Roku 2 box that has been inadvertantly reset to factory settings.

It's asking me to choose a language.

I am away from home and don't have the remote with me (D'oh!).

All I have is an iPhone, A cable that I can connect my iPhone to the Roku box USB port and an HDMI cable.

I have the Roku remote app installed on my iPhone.

I also have my MacBook laptop with me.

Is there any way I can set up the Roku  so I can watch the Rugby?

Thanks.

Roy

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How to set up Roku 2 from factory settings without a remote

Jump to solution

@Ropy wrote:

All I have is an iPhone, A cable that I can connect my iPhone to the Roku box USB port and an HDMI cable.

You cannot connect your iPhone to a Roku via USB for control purposes. The USB port on a Roku player can only be used to connect a storage device for playing media (video, music or pictures). Some Roku players with a mini-USB port only use the port to power the Roku. There's no way to control the Roku via USB. As others have mentioned, the Roku app will work just fine if you connect your Roku to your network via Ethernet, and your phone is connected to the same home network. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
DBDukes

Jump to solution

Get a universal remote that supports Roku. You can find them for around $5 at Walmart, Best Buy, Family Dollar, or any of a bunch of places that carry universal remotes. Just ensure it says it supports Roku.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Ropy
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi DBDukes.

Thanks for the quick reply. A good idea. 

I'm in the UK. All the Universal remotes, or even Roku remotes I can see are around  £20.

I'm not sure I want to spend that amount on something that I have at home.

Also, it looks like they are only available online, or a long drive.

I may end up watching it on my small laptop... not the same!

Cheers

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

EDIT: Oops, sorry.  Just re-read and see you had Factory reset  which would have wiped out your home wifi settings.  That would keep this suggestion from working.

_____

I recently ran across this on Reddit.  I haven't had occasion to try it but it sounds like it would work.

How to set up a new net connection without a Roku Remote.

You need all of these:
-- A Roku that is still set up for its prior network. If it was no longer connecting to that network when you shut it down, this process won't work and you'll have to use a remote to set the Roku connection up.
-- Knowledge of the network name (SSID) and password the Roku is currently configured to use.
-- A mobile phone with WiFi hotspot capabilities.
-- A second mobile device, either a phone or tablet, with the official Roku (not TheRokuChannel) app installed on a second device.

If you have all these things, here's how you do it:

1) Configure the WiFi hotspot on your mobile phone to use the same network name (SSID) and password as the Roku is currently configured to use. When you turn on this hotspot, your Roku should be able to connect to it and through it to the internet. You just won't be able to control it yet.

2) Connect your second device (phone or tablet) to the first phone's WiFi hotspot network.

3) Now that this second device and your Roku are both connected to the same WiFi hotspot, you can run the Roku app on the second device to gain control of your Roku using the app's remote control capabilities.

4) Using the app, set up the new network on the Roku, via Settings > Network > Set up network.

5) When the Roku connects to the new network, change the second mobile device's WiFi settings to this same network (SSID and password).

6) You can now continue to use the Roku app on the second device to operate your Roku on the new network.

7) The Roku is no longer connecting to your phone's WiFi hotspot, so you can shut that down. If you wish, you can also install the Roku app to this phone and use it to control your Roku as well.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@Ropy wrote:

You cannot connect your iPhone to a Roku via USB for control purposes. The USB port on a Roku player can only be used to connect a storage device for playing media (video, music or pictures). Some Roku players with a mini-USB port only use the port to power the Roku. There's no way to control the Roku via USB. As others have mentioned, the Roku app will work just fine if you connect your Roku to your network via Ethernet, and your phone is connected to the same home network. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Ropy
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

@Ropy wrote:

Thanks. I managed to get an ethernet cable. Connected the Roku directly to the Router. This allowed the iphone roku remote app to connect.

Sorted. 

Thanks to you all who offered suggestions. 

0 Kudos