Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IrvSp
Reel Rookie

How to get an HDMI Extender cable and Initial problems?

What is WRONG with this Company?

New to Roku, got an Extender+

Tried the specific TV I want to use it on. No problem, plugs into the back and sticks out.

IMMEDIATELY hit a problem. I never got the Activation e-mail after setup! Chat on-line. Seemed helpful and was going to work me through getting it working. However, I was Chatting on my desktop, not near the TV. Not to worry agent said, I'll send you email and we can work that way. Ended the Chat, NO EMAIL!!!

What goes...

OK, I called. Agent sent me an email and I got it. Read him the CASE # and we started working on it. Did a Reset, started over, same problem. He said give it 2 HOURS to see if the Activation came in. Didn't and I then replied to him. He did say he was sending it to a higher level of support and it would take 24 hours.

Only 12 hours later now, but I wanted to try the other TV. No-go, the Streaming Stick + is too long as it mounts horizontally to the TV. So I try to ORDER the Free Extender Cable.

I'm on W10 using Firefox... FAILS after I enter ALL the date, NADA, NOTHING when I press Continue. OK, it has to be Firefox, still some sites that don't work with it. Use EDGE, same thing!!!

Now I read the Forums and see this has been going on for some time, NEVER resolved...

Also see no Activation Emails is not NEW, long running threads. Seem to have no Resolution!!!

What goes with this Company.

Should I just return this to Amazon? I looked at the Reviews again and ONLY one report of getting a notice that the email address was wrong, but that isn't my problem (but I see in the Forum others have this problem as well). How can this be? No similar problems for other purchaser's at Amazon? 

What is wrong with this company?

Very frustrated new customer with Roku Streaming Stick + (3810, 3811 series) that can't be used!!!

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: How to get an HDMI Extender cable and Initial problems?

I notice you said "OK, I called" - except that Roku has no customer service phone number - they discontinued phone support in March 2020. 

What phone number did you call?

Roku only offers chat and email support:  https://support.roku.com/contactus/contact-options

(choose setup/ultra/other/need more help?)

Just as an FYI Roku activation scams are rampant and sophisticated - if you searched for a Roku support number or to activate online, and talked to someone on the phone after calling a supposed support number or after chatting somewhere other than the link above, you were likely being scammed.

0 Kudos
IrvSp
Reel Rookie

I went to THIS page, https://support.roku.com/contactus/contact-options, after I entered what problem and device:

Capture.JPG

Pressed Call, saw this, (816) 272-8106 and called. Reached India and Steve was the agent.

No connections made to anything, sent email with the case # and I had to read it back to him, of course he did get my email address. Also S/N of the device. Nothing else.

Just this morning I got another email from the agent on the Chat. Gave me some steps to do, same as what Steve had me do but not the reboot of the router.

This morning I tried again, only difference, I used the USB power cube vs. the TV. Worked like a charm and I didn't have to reboot the router. Now up an running and I was able to mirror my iPad too.

Now all I need is the 'Free' cable for the other TV.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Looks like Roku is offering phone support again - thats a good thing, and about time (a year and several months later).

0 Kudos
IrvSp
Reel Rookie

@StreamerUser wrote:

Looks like Roku is offering phone support again - thats a good thing, and about time (a year and several months later).

Don't think for every product, only 2 choices once you call, and when you select one a recording reminds you of the devices it can assist with. First one was for the TV and the second for specific devices. Not everyone is supported.

Still can't get the 'Free' HDMI extender cable.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@IrvSp wrote:

@StreamerUser wrote:

Don't think for every product, only 2 choices once you call, and when you select one a recording reminds you of the devices it can assist with. First one was for the TV and the second for specific devices. Not everyone is supported.

Still can't get the 'Free' HDMI extender cable.

Model-limited support has always been the case.

There are 3 options:  1) accounts/billing 2) new device setup only 3) every other product/service question (reminder recording to go online)

1 and 2 go to agents without any initial recording/reminder of product limitation (though there might be once you talk to an agent); 3 is a reminder recording to go online for all other questions.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

There's nothing special about the Roku HDMI extension, it's just a short (4 inches or so) HDMI cord with an HDMI plug at one end and an HDMI socket at the other. I use one several feet long to locate my Streaming Stick in an equipment closet on the other side of the wall from my TV. You may be able to find an HDMI extension locally and not have to wait for someone to ship it to you.
Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos