Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rivendell
Reel Rookie

How to cast laptop or computer screen to Roku

Jump to solution

I have had my Roku for two days and loving it so far. My question is: is it be possible for me to mirror my laptop or computer screen to my TV? The main thing I would LOVE to do is play my fav game LOTRO and see it on a big TV screen. My computer is over 10ft away from tv so via cable is a bit difficult. Thanks in advance.

My set up is:

• Roku express
  • Desktop Computer Kubuntu 20.04 (Linux PC)
  • Browser Firefox and Chromium
  • Wireless internet connection
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How to cast laptop or computer screen to Roku

Jump to solution

Going to be tough to find casting capability of Linux outside of installing mkchromecast or if not using chromium browser.

Could always try miraclecast but you have to compile yourself. https://github.com/albfan/miraclecast

Plenty of longer HDMI cables (10', 25' and longer for sale in stores and online). $20 or so online.  I use a 15' HDMI cable left plugged into the large TV and then mirror my Linux laptops to the TV.  Do a lot of online streaming with this method when Roku is not able to properly stream content through an Android casting app.

Otherwise,  am able to wirelessly Cast through Chromium when viewing compatible sites as @StreamerUser  indicated.

If you do find another solution make sure to post back as I would be curious to try it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Yes, you can mirror (remote display) your devices to Roku, as long as they support Miracast or AirPlay2. You can also cast (remote control) to them as long as the app supports DIAL or AirPlay2. Your Linux distro/apps needs to support those standards in order to do so.

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Going to be tough to find casting capability of Linux outside of installing mkchromecast or if not using chromium browser.

Could always try miraclecast but you have to compile yourself. https://github.com/albfan/miraclecast

Plenty of longer HDMI cables (10', 25' and longer for sale in stores and online). $20 or so online.  I use a 15' HDMI cable left plugged into the large TV and then mirror my Linux laptops to the TV.  Do a lot of online streaming with this method when Roku is not able to properly stream content through an Android casting app.

Otherwise,  am able to wirelessly Cast through Chromium when viewing compatible sites as @StreamerUser  indicated.

If you do find another solution make sure to post back as I would be curious to try it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102